DIY concrete saw cutting foundation for door

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
well, so far i have completed the cuts on the inside and outside faces of the wall using a 7" diamond blade and my circular saw. certainly some awkward cutting positions involved.

lines came out straight and true. only problem is the depth of cut is 2.25".

current plan is to use 1/4" SDS masonry bit and punch it through the cut lines already established. i did a few holes this morning, but then hit rebar that i sliced through with the blade and it snapped the drill bit. will be a PITA, but i think it'll work.

if it doesn't, next plan is to use a 9" blade and 9" angle grinder. i think that should get close to all the way through the 6" wall.

fun times.

Good luck.

Wear plenty of safety clothes, thick gloves, face shield and such. Always think safety first.

And some pictures would be nice. We love pics.

I saw a very big and muscular employee of mine almost completely sever his forearm using a right angle grinder. The disk broke because he was putting too much pressure on it, and sliced him wide open in a tenth of a second.

Large diameter blades are the most dangerous. Very high velocity on that outer circumference.

well, i fired up the 9" grinder and had good success. i was able to connect the two cut lines from the circular saw cutting. still had some restricted access since i couldn't push the grinder any closer to the floor. ultimately, i was able to pull out the maul and chunk out most of the concrete. some rebar was left over to cut once cleaned out. then, i continued to use the grinder to touch up the surface irregularities. rough opening came out exactly where i wanted it, so can't complain. overall, should've just used the 9" grinder to start with. oh well. total price = $90 for 2 blades (7" and 9") and 9" grinder.

IMG_2763.JPG
IMG_2764.JPG
IMG_2770.JPG
IMG_2771.JPG

a few hours later, my wife returned home with our new baby daughter. our daughter had been in the hospital for a few days immediately following birth due to fluids in her lungs. all is well now (minus the fact she hasn't really slept since 9pm and is being fussy right now) and we're very lucky!

IMG_7060.JPG
IMG_7124.JPG

Reactions: vinny11950
Now the big question, was the time and effort on your part worth the cost saving?.

I generally like to DIY and unless there is substantial savings on hiring a contractor (like stripping a roof) I DIY.

no, the time and effort was not worth it. i had one guy say $250 for the job. i was going to use him (he's in the local mason's union), but he flaked on me and never responded again. in the end, i do feel better knowing that i handled the quality of it. i generally do not trust others to do my work unless i know and have dealt with them before.

Nice job. Don't forget a waterproof membrane between concrete and wood.

Glad to hear your little one is OK. Congratulations and enjoy every moment ... even the cranky ones:) They grow up fast...

Status
Not open for further replies.