DIY Fan to spread the heat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kelemvor

Feb 25, 2015
WI
We have a Lennox See-Thru fireplace. When it was installed we were told to nto worry about a blower as it would have to go under the fireplace and blow up the sides and we wouldn't really feel much air then coming out the top. They recommended we just use a ceiling fan to spread the heat around.

Well, that isn't working at all.

We have plenty of space above the fireplace to put in some small fans to blow air out the vent and into the room so I'm looking to just make something to work. We only need the air to blow one direction as the other side is our dining area which isn't as important to keep warm.

I thought something like cooling fans from inside a computer might work. I could put 2 or 4 of them up inside the space above the fireplace and have them aim out into the room. I'm just not sure if the heat would cause any problems with the fans stopping working, melting, etc. Anyone know if there's something I could put up in that area to blow the hot air from above the fireplace out into the room?

Was thinking about fans like here but since they'd have to go above the fireplace it will be very hot up there...

http://www.instructables.com/id/Fireplace-fan/

Thanks.

If you are going to add blowers to the unit, add them where they are supposed to go, underneath the unit.
There are air channels up each side where the air will flow until it passes over & gets warmed by the heat
exchanger before it moves back into the room. That is where the OEM blowers were tested.
That location is the safest place for them to be positioned.

Reactions: Heatsource
Status
Not open for further replies.