DIY Insert Install Q's

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Don't be afraid to bust out some of those rear firebricks, if you need the liner to come down at less of an angle to connect to your insert. The firebricks aren't structural. A cold chisel on the mortar joints should pop those right out.

Don't be afraid to bust out some of those rear firebricks, if you need the liner to come down at less of an angle to connect to your insert. The firebricks aren't structural. A cold chisel on the mortar joints should pop those right out.
Going to try to avoid that if I can, but definitely crossed my mind. Thank you!

Reactions: Solarguy3500
I removed a couple rows of them on my fireplace to make room. I was able to borrow a large hammer drill with a flat chisel bit from work and made short work of it.

I know, in your mind you really don't want to, but @Riteway is correct. They're not structural so as long as there are 2 layers of regular brick behind them, you should be fine.

My understanding is they are only there to contain an open fire as you would have in a traditional fireplace, but with an insert the fire is contained in the stove.

I knocked the top row out and reset further back.

Finished the block off plate and install yesterday. Ended up needing a 15 degree elbow. Nearly complete!

E5DB65BA-BB6B-4FD6-97A1-00AFF401F88C.jpeg C2F3122A-0685-476F-83F5-F5A1EA154D0E.jpeg

Very nice

Reactions: lawn717
A couple small burns already but nothing crazy. Had my doubts about it all coming together. Sure is enjoyable, and nice that the wife loves it as well!

Thank you, everyone!!

107453B4-4035-4748-875A-64BABAC30A69.jpeg

Reactions: profdlp and begreen
Looks great. Yule be having a warm holiday!

• Haha
Reactions: lawn717 and EbS-P