Q&A DIY Instructions for Gas Fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I'm thinking of installing a gas fireplace but I'm having trouble finding "How to" instructions. I need to know everything from hookup schematics (pieces parts) to how to bleed the lines to the other gas appliances (Water Heater Furnace). Any recommendations? Any Internet sources?

Answer:

Amazingly enough- there's not a lot of DIY information floating out there about Gas. It's the kind of project where if one does not know a lot about it- then it's best not doing it. I've sold a lot of fireplaces and logs to DIY. If they hook it up - and everything works--well - then it's OK. But if they hook it up and it doesn't work- they're on the phone to us asking why. Note that "why" could be a lot of things. gas line pressure- pipe sizing- loose thermocouple- shorted control wire- etc.
<p>But don;t feel bad about the lack of information- we can't even locate information for professionals as to how to hook up and set up these fireplaces.

<P> HearthNet now has a couple of good articles on how gas works and gas troubleshooting. See the link below and also the info page link at bottom of page.

Link: How Gas Appliances Work

Status
Not open for further replies.