DIY service for Vistaflame VF55/Enviro M55 pre-heating season

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Okboss

Feb 25, 2014
Grantham, NH
Hi all,

Does anyone have experience with these models and what to do to get them ready for a new season? I bought my VF55 at the end of last heating season (1 March) and ran it right through April up here in NH. I did the recommended weekly cleaning but now I am wondering if it is a good idea to pull it away from the backwall and open up the side and back panels to do a deeper cleaning.

There are videos on Youtube that Enviro has posted, but they don't show much other than basic weekly cleaning. they do say to "rotate the burner port covers to open" to clean. On my Vistaflame, the port covers are closed and I cant get them to move? Is this an issue?

Thanks for your help,

Chris

Hi all,

Does anyone have experience with these models and what to do to get them ready for a new season? I bought my VF55 at the end of last heating season (1 March) and ran it right through April up here in NH. I did the recommended weekly cleaning but now I am wondering if it is a good idea to pull it away from the backwall and open up the side and back panels to do a deeper cleaning.

There are videos on Youtube that Enviro has posted, but they don't show much other than basic weekly cleaning. they do say to "rotate the burner port covers to open" to clean. On my Vistaflame, the port covers are closed and I cant get them to move? Is this an issue?

Thanks for your help,

Chris
Since no one has answered I will give you a quick run down. Run a brush thru your venting to remove any fly ash. I usually do this twice a year. To open those ports you will need to loosen the screws that hold the port covers in place. I like to put a little wd40 on the screw and let it soak for a couple of minutes to help loosen them up. Twice a year I also remove the fire brick and all covers underneath and clean out all accumulated ash. Remove combustion blower and clean impeller, make sure to have a replacement gasket available in case the current one breaks.These stoves are fairly easy to clean and my twice a year deep cleaning only takes an hour or two. Hope this helps.

OK, so did the big clean. Panels come off pretty easy to get at the moving parts. Wasn't sure about easiest method to remove combustion blower so I can get at the impeller. Anybody got pics or can give me a simple guide?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Combustion blower is real easy. Loosen the six or so screws that hold the motor to the blower housing. A slight twist counter clockwise and pull it straight out. Be careful not to tear that gasket. You may want to have a spare gasket just in case as they are rather fragile and break easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.