Do I need a liner?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rosem

Aug 27, 2019
Northern Michigan
[Posts moved to their own thread by moderator]
The chimney needs a SS liner (insulated) for a stove to burn safely.
If the clay chimney is 6", it might be problematic getting a 6" SS liner in there. Most stoves need a 6" SS stove pipe/liner.

Why is the SS liner so important if the clay liner is new?

Last edited by a moderator:
The installation manual for this model states only that the masonry flue system be free of cracks and not also serving another appliance. A SS liner required only if the clay liner is cracked.

If the clay liner is in good condition sized properly and the chimney is up to code a clay is fine. Do you have the required clearance to combustibles from the chimney structure? Have you had the chimney scanned to make sure it really is in good condition?

If the answer to those questions is yes then chances are the chimney is fine as is

If the clay liner is in good condition sized properly and the chimney is up to code a clay is fine. Do you have the required clearance to combustibles from the chimney structure? Have you had the chimney scanned to make sure it really is in good condition?

If the answer to those questions is yes then chances are the chimney is fine as is

So if you had the funds available, would you get a liner with your first wood stove?

I ask because we're about to get a Jotul F55 and planned on installing it in a masonry chimney that runs through the middle of our house. It has a 7" clay liner that is probably 30-40 years old. The local shop said it looked "OK" and was going to inspect it again before installing.

Seems like the SS liner would give me some extra piece of mind.

Sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread.

The obvious increased safety is enough for me. Another point liner makes cleaning much easier I think. The mess is much more contained. I chose to buy a brush and clean it myself. After a 10 years this choice will more than pay for the liner. Since it’s easy to do I will do it more often.

we are doing a major remodel and everything I thought I can save 1000$ doing it the less than perfect but still acceptable way I have given up on. We plan on staying in this house for the next 20 years so we are spending the extra money todo it right the first time. I will have less maintenance and more peace of mind. I know we are very fortunate to be in a situation to make those financial decisions (good jobs and great credit).

anyway just my thoughts.
Evan

So if you had the funds available, would you get a liner with your first wood stove?

I ask because we're about to get a Jotul F55 and planned on installing it in a masonry chimney that runs through the middle of our house. It has a 7" clay liner that is probably 30-40 years old. The local shop said it looked "OK" and was going to inspect it again before installing.

Seems like the SS liner would give me some extra piece of mind.

Sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread.
Well what do they mean by ok? Is it up to code or not? An internal chimney like yours needs 2" clearance to combustibles around it top to bottom. Do you have that?