Do I need a Vinyl Siding Stand off

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken Testa

Nov 1, 2013
Long Island, New York
Hi! I recently purchased a Regency U-39 natural gas as floor model from a local dealer that is going out of business. My question is do I need to use a vinyl siding stand off. It is a direct vent model. I am using DuraVent double wall piping. I got the black pipe that comes vertically off the stove and the black 90 degree elbow that goes out the wall. I purchased and will be using a DuraVent 46DVA-HU Direct vent horizontal termination. The installation instructions for the stove say that a wall thimble is only required for installations in Canada. I purchased and will be installing one anyway. It seems like the right thing to do. I also purchased a black thimble cover for the inside wall. The wall that I will be installing the exterior Horizontal Termination on is Vinyl sided. The instructions for the stove say that a vinyl siding stand off is optional. The wall I'm installing the termination on is highly visible and is located near an outside patio area. The termination by itself makes a reasonably aesthetic installation. The stand off however is large and bulky and not so much attractive. Can someone suggest whether or not I really need the stand off if I'm using the optional thimble. Thanks. Much. Ken

Use the stand-off or you may be replacing Vinyl siding in the future. I've NEVER seen any damage to siding where one has been installed. I HAVE seen damage on homes without it, & when the homeowners tried to match the vinyl, it was off. The sun had faded the original color, so in order to make the siding look good, that entire wall was replaced. ...The stand-off is unsightly at first, but you'll get used to it...

Reactions: Heatsource
Status
Not open for further replies.