Do I need support brackets for 20' of chimney in a chase? What kind?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jack26181

Feb 21, 2022
New York
Hello all. I'm installing two fireplaces, each in a chase with around 20' of chimney going straight up. There are no floors or attic to go through, just plywood fire stops with the metal shields in the middle to hold the pipe steady while maintaining proper clearance to combustibles. Should I add brackets to support the weight of the chimneys?

The store said to just let the fireplaces support the weight. The manual says to use brackets if the chimney is over 9' to prevent noise when the fireplace heats up. I'm inclined to follow the manual, but I'm less concerned about noise than safety. I bought two Selkirk Universal Roof Support Kits that can screw into the outer pipe wall and the wood. But I also see a DuraVent model that wraps around the pipe instead of screwing in. Any advice?

I saw a video that talked about the chimney expanding and contracting as it heats and cools, and now I'm wondering whether fixed support brackets will move with the pipe, or whether they might do more harm than good.

I'm using DuraTech 1" insulated chimney: a six-inch width for a Valcourt Lafayette fireplace, and 8" for a Valcourt Waterloo.

Thank you.

The fireplace will support the weight, but I'd follow the manual. It would be a pita to have to retrofit them later.

No alternate support is required in this situation.

You should make sure the fire stops are properly sealed and have adequate insulation on them. That’s the most important part and are most overlooked in new construction.