Do regular ants live in wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thinkxingu

Minister of Fire
Jun 3, 2007
S.NH
So I've been working on my pile these last couple 'a days and there've been ants in some of the hollowed out pieces--they have no 'channels', so I was assuming they were regular ants, but my buddy thinks only carpenter ants live in wood.

Answer?

S

Most likely carpenter ants. I've had some trees with the tops broken off in high winds. In virtually every case the boughs are hollow and they are full of ants, which, of course, weakened the tree making it susceptible to wind damage. I've noticed, however, that the ants disappear once the wood is split. Never see them again.

I've seen about every variety of ant we have around here crawl out of fire wood. Lately, it's been ones w/ a red thorax.

pen

I had a short ugly I split today it was full of the same ones pen found. They looked really cold so I out them in the sauna :red: I went to get them out so I could take them back to the woods but they must have crawled through the damper and found their way back home. :)

I have found that if you can get the right size saddle and bridle, they can be fun to ride around.

Attachments

• Giant-Ant--34222.jpg
    Giant-Ant--34222.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 894
Blue Vomit said:
I have found that if you can get the right size saddle and bridle, they can be fun to ride around.

No freaking way. LMAO !!

Blue Vomit said:

LMAO - Ride on brother. Ride On!

Usually find just carpenter ants and termites here but I had a oak log left mostly up off the ground one Winter and when I finally got back to it in the Spring it was full of little black ants at the end that had sunk into the soft ground. Not just in the bark, either.

I've had those bigger ants with the red thorax fill the 3-4 inch gaps in pallets with grass and leaves. Those suckers have no fear attempting to smite the mighty giant disturbing their home. get 'em in piles of mulch, too.

billb3 said:
Usually find just carpenter ants and termites here but I had a oak log left mostly up off the ground one Winter and when I finally got back to it in the Spring it was full of little black ants at the end that had sunk into the soft ground. Not just in the bark, either..

Hate carpenter ants. Had some wood with them in it a few years ago and didn't know it. Brought a log into the house and had ants wandering all over the place once they melted. Now, if I find a log with them in it when I'm splitting, I just toss the whole round. Not worth the risk of bringing those little buggers inside.

Never had a problem with carpenter ants . . . when I find one while splitting I just toss it to the side and let the birds and elements take care of 'em. Since I stack outside for a year and then in the woodshed for a year before use . . . I figure most of 'em have long vacated their former home by the time I start moving the wood to my home's rear covered porch . . . but even then I tend to wait until cold weather has settled in. Never had any bugs in my house . . . other than the occasional house fly or lady bug/bird.

Status
Not open for further replies.