Do they make fuel gauges for buried oil tanks?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stax

Minister of Fire
Dec 22, 2010
Southeastern PA
My mom can't get off oil but busted loose from "the contract". She has a buried oil tank. Now that she will be responsible for determining oil levels, I'm asking the simple question above. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Everyone uses dipsticks up here.

They do make gauges that have a float on them, and can be calibrated to a tanks depth/diameter, but I have not personally used/installed one.

I've seen pnumatic ones that are calibrated to read based on the "pressure" in the bottom of the tank. I think there are sonar based gauges as well, but those are costly.

I'd use a dipstick as well. Be sure it's insured against leakage and know the construction and age of the tank.

TS

You need to know the tank dimensions and then mark up a stick for that tank size. You prolly can find the inches=gals. info on the web. to mark up your stick. Figuring out the dia is the easy part. Maybe someone here has a trick to find the legnth.

How about the Rocket 7100.http://www.sybasystems.com/OEM Rocket/oem_rocket.html .
They want $229 for it.
I've had the indoor tank unit for several years and it's performed quite well.

edit: The exterior sensor can't be covered by snow, I imagine, so that'd have to be factored in (birdhouse?)

I have the same thing on my indoor tank. Always worked well for me. No experience with the underground one. It looks like the idea is that you put the sensor on the top of the tank and then run the wire to the house or some other nearby structure to attach the transmitter to. Then the receiver goes in the house. Is $229 installed?

ac

Status
Not open for further replies.