Do they make them like they used to?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
So I read the wood identification threads to test myself on pictures of bark and grain. This will be a test of what I've gleaned from lurking over the years before signing up?

Isn't Dennis someone who used to post as Backwoods Savage? I think he had a habit of telling FirefighterJake that his wood would rot because he didn't split it vertically. I'm not certain of that by any means, but it popped into my head, and so I'm asking.

Yes Dennis is aka backwoods savage he doesn't frequent hearth but is doing well.

who the hell is Dennis?
;lol
the Fireview is an easy breather.
One other issue however this is a inch by inch little home and the rear exit pushes the stove out even more into the living space. I will report back with the results in the months to come.
I like the Fireview, but the Keystone can vent top or rear.
That was the first thing I thought when I read @Rearscreen's reply. If the house is "little" enough, could the Keystone handle it? Might be a tough ask in VT, depending on the home's insulation, air-sealing etc. The Keystone has a bigger window and an ash grate, Fv has a bit bigger box and the easier access to the cat. The Ks is an easy breather as well. On a 16' liner, rear-vented, I can light a fire with no pre-heating of the flue, even if it's really warm out.

Last edited:
Guys you do realize the op is looking for a non cat as close to that old buck as possible right? I am not sure how we got onto which woodstock would work best for him but it is not at all what he asked for.

Reactions: webby3650
Guys you do realize the op is looking for a non cat as close to that old buck as possible right? I am not sure how we got onto which woodstock would work best for him but it is not at all what he asked for.
Well, we're talking about Rearscreen's brother concerning the Woodies. Maybe I should go look up the thread he's talking about, where he brings up these question. But until the OP provides details on what he's trying to heat, WRT sq.footage, insulation, air-sealing and layout, we can't give him stoves to consider, and there are just two things that can happen; Either we thread-jack it, or it walks the plank and descends to Davy Jones' Locker. ;lol

Reactions: bholler
Well, we're talking about Rearscreen's brother concerning the Woodies. Maybe I should go look up the thread he's talking about, where he brings up these question. But until the OP provides details on what he's trying to heat, WRT sq.footage, insulation, air-sealing and layout, we can't give him stoves to consider, and there are just two things that can happen; Either we thread-jack it, or it walks the plank and descends to Davy Jones' Locker. ;lol

All the best posts happen after the threadjacking.