Do you ever say this is JUST TOO MUCH WORK!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fespo

Minister of Fire
Dec 14, 2005
South West burbs of Chicago
Do you ever think that all this work with the stove, wood, cleaning the chimney etc.is worth it? I have been way behind with my 3 year plan and I starting thinking about all this work. I don't burn to save money on gas but just enjoy the fire and maybe the time has come to just to turn the heat up. Has anyone else gone through this or stopped? Fespo

When it gets cold, I like wood heat. This year has been a challenge because winter so far has been warm here. Last week we were burning 24/7, now it's 50º already today at 10am. On days like this I am glad we have the heat pump. I just let it do its thing.

How warm has it been? We have daffodils that are already 3" tall and our fuchsias never lost their foliage.

Reactions: Jak and ShawnLiNY
When it gets cold, I like wood heat. This year has been a challenge because winter so far has been warm here. Last week we were burning 24/7, now it's 50º already today at 10am. On days like this I am glad we have the heat pump. I just let it do its thing.

How warm has it been? We have daffodils that are already 3" tall and our fuchsias never lost their foliage.

Temps are like 50* today and sunny

It’s frustrating when you are behind on the wood supply. I just buckle down and cut extra, or if you are buying it, just buy twice as much and let it season.

Reactions: Hogwildz
I dont think ill give it up. If i was a slave to my stove than probably. My burn times are long, and when i come home after work there still alot of coles in the stove, so its just drop in some wood if the house is cool. Regarding wood processing, it seams like some people tend to handle there wood to much. I spoke to my neighbor about this last year, and he streamlined what he does. I split my wood and it goes directly into the shed. Never to be touched again untill im ready to burn, no tarps, my wood is kept is a shed. Right now is raining sideways and all my wood is dry
I think if you sit back and try to make it easier, you'll fined it more enjoyable

Last edited:
For me, I work an office job, so I look forward to wood processing like a restless boy looks forward to recess at school. It’s is a lot of work, though, I hear you on that.

I'm far from ever thinking about giving up on wood heat as a serious supplement for our heat pump, but like others here have stressed, I don't get bent out of shape when the heat pump comes on; in fact I'm very thankful that I have it on those days when I'm either too sick, or too lazy, to get a fire going. Having said all that, I love the wood stove and it makes a significant dent in our electric bill. I could never do without it, not to mention that my dogs would have a fit if we couldn't go downstairs and flake out in front of a nice hot fire.... :)

Attachments

• Toasty Toes.jpg
    Toasty Toes.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 403
Last edited:
I'll keep burning as long as I am able, but my back now warns me regularly and sometimes severely if I try to move around heavy rounds for splitting. Bought wood the past few years as stacking is not a problem. But I don't mind the heat pump running when it needs to.

I still enjoy doing the wood when my back isn't giving me grief.

When I get too old to process wood, it's solar panels, batteries, and electric everything for me. Maybe I'll swallow my pride and buy some wood so I can sit by the fire, too.

Ditto in the office job. I’enjoy the work out and love processing wood. It’s grown to a hobby. I chop it all by hand [emoji106]

Now if I can just get my stove in I’ll be set!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I definitely don’t chop it by hand, and it’s still a work out!

I definitely don’t chop it by hand, and it’s still a work out!
For sure, a green 24" round of wood is very heavy. And some wood does not hand split easily.

Reactions: charger4406
If you dont mined me asking.. do you process your own wood. Do you purchas wood. How do you fulfill your wood needs
I get all my firewood dropped off for free at my dads place. I cut and split it there,then truck it 25 miles home each way. But most of the trunks are huge and nothing smaller then 18-20". I dont have room at my place to for anything , even storage.

I had my DNA tested on 23andme.com I am 3 percent Neanderthal. Back in the caves of Europe 50,000 years ago we had wood fires and I still like wood fires. Don't want gas flame. Fake.
I think we're all 3% neanderthal, that's why we all like fire.

Reactions: woodstovelover
Neanderthal with office job checking in. I like it when I'm a year or so ahead and process wood at my own pace and choosing.

I love my wood stove when the wicked winter storms are coming in...

I too burn for atmosphere and not heat. Burning wood is more expensive for me than burning gas. But I buy my wood at the hardware store and don't burn a lot. Not burning a lot means not cleaning a lot. Looked down the flue cap and yup, no build up. Just looks like the liner was spray painted black. Can still see all the liner seams.

So, not much fires = not much work - :)

I get all my firewood dropped off for free at my dads place. I cut and split it there,then truck it 25 miles home each way. But most of the trunks are huge and nothing smaller then 18-20". I dont have room at my place to for anything , even storage.

I think that if you get your storage set up and get at least 2 yrs ahead you'll feel better. You might want to look at how your doing it and see how you can make it easier for you. My friend picked up a used tractor for 1k now he dosent have to lift rounds at all. I put all my large rounds on the forks of my machine and put it on my splitter in the vertical position, rounds up to 40in. Just some thoughts..

You may want to post what your setup is in the wood shed and im sure you'll get a ton of really good advice on how to make your life easier

Do you ever think that all this work with the stove, wood, cleaning the chimney etc.is worth it? I have been way behind with my 3 year plan and I starting thinking about all this work. I don't burn to save money on gas but just enjoy the fire and maybe the time has come to just to turn the heat up. Has anyone else gone through this or stopped? Fespo
Nope. Only thing that gets me through the long, cold, dark winter is that little box of sunshine. It's almost free and gives me exercise and a unique purpose.

Keeping two setups going at two separate houses is exhausting me.

Heh, heh! The people using central heating systems are voting with their fingertips on their thermostats!

For some people though, life is just too easy.

Reactions: Lone_Gun
Even though wood heat is clearly “harder” than turning on the gas or oil heat, it gives me a satisfaction that is hard to describe. My wife gets cold easily and I enjoy being able to have the house stay at temp she likes by the physical work of processing the wood. I wouldn’t feel the same if we just chose to crank the electric heat. Not many men ( or women) can say their hobby is as productive as the wood heat game.

Status
Not open for further replies.