Do you have more DUST from burning with your wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would say its worse and the biggest drawback to wood burning especially if you use a fan to move air. I think the problem could be mitigated some from the stove design. I can say with my stove I wished it had a side door with a higher lip and/or andirons . It it is pretty much guaranteed when opening door of a Castine or a narrow profile stove or dumping the tiny ashpan some ash is going to dump out. I have a cordless hand vac with a hepa filter nearby which helps on the mess but if you have a situation where a log rolled forward you have to leave the mess until it safe to clean up

JBinKC said:
especially if you use a fan to move air

That's what I attribute the extra dust to - the fans stirring it up. I think it the summer, more of it settles onto the floors and gets vacuumed. In the winter, the fans keep more aloft and it settles on furniture, mantle, etc.

We have a ceiling fan and it certainly does distribute the dust around. I am going to build a filter out of a box fan and a 20x20x1 pleated furnace filter. I have heard they work well so I will give it a shot.

To be honest I don't think my house is more dusty that any other in this dusty farming community. A lot of our friends don't heat with wood and they seem to have just as much.

Status
Not open for further replies.