Do you prefer Stihl or Husky?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mayhem

Minister of Fire
May 8, 2007
Saugerties, NY
Stihl and Husky seem to be the two saw brands most people prefer as a "premium" brand product. My question to the group is if you have two saws of more or less equal size, weight and price, would you opt for a Stihl or a Husky. Near as I can tell both are great saws, offering good power to weight, value and durability. I'm not presently on the market to replace my existing el-cheapo Craftsma 18" saw, but when I am I'm wondering which direction I should go in.

In my opinion, having been a dealer for both Stihl and Husky, you cannot go wrong with either line. Both are generally very high quality with strong dealer support. Look for a dealer or dealers who will let you let you demo both brands, preferably side by side, and then you can make an informed decision based on YOUR criteria rather than ours. Either way you will be satisfied. Good luck.

I got my Stihl because of dealer reputation and location. He sold both brands and walked me through each saw (of the size I was looking for) and I ended up with the MS361. But Husky has a couple of great saws as well (in the same hp/weight range). The selling point of the Stihl was the anti-vibration stuff that was built into it. Find some place that will allow for a test drive of the units you are looking at. Then make your call.

Why not opt for a Jonsered?

I got my Stihl 034AV real cheap (it was in pieces). My dealer was awesome in helping me by giving me copies of exploded views & all parts were in stock. My Husky is a 16" Electric. It just runs great. I think the dealer is the deciding factor. I strongly feel you can't go wrong with either. As far as Jonsered, I don't think there's a dealer around here offering them.

My buddies and I all have Sthil ms310's. When compared to the similar Husky model, we all found the Sthil to be lighter, more comfortable to hold/cut, smoother with less vibration, and a better exhaust note. The only downside is that the exhaust blows up onto the auto chainbreak handle, that dude gets hot, hot enough that if you arent wearing gloves, you will actually burn blisters on your knuckles during a day of cutting it.

I've never run a Stihl myself so my vote goes to Husqvarna. My father-in-law has a stihl and it is difficult to start. Could just be lack of maintenance, though. I do own a Stihl string trimmer that I am very happy with. It is tempermental to start, but always does. I think two strokes all have their own personality. Once you learn what works, repeat.

That's like the Ford vs Chevy question, a lot of it comes down to personal preference.

Both make great saws. If you have a good dealer for one vs the other close by, I would lean that way. If you have good dealers for both, try out both saws and see if you feel a difference in balance or weight. If you stick with a pro class saw, sized correctly for the majority of your cutting from either manufacturer I don't think you can go wrong.

I went with a Husky for two simple reasons.
1) I had a Husky Moto-Cross bike that just used to rip my arms off
2) I wanted to buy a chainsaw from the nearest dealer to me, which is 1/2 mile away. He does all the work there in his own shop. Sure Lowes was cheaper, but Lowes was no going to take my saw and fix it the same day, or be on a first name basis.
I hear Stihls are great saws.

I went for the stihl myself but both saws are good machines. when you do decide to get one, make sure the dealer also services it when you have problems.

either one if you stay away from the big box store stuff that husky puts out if you get the higher grade saws flip a coin.
Although I have to say my little Husky 142 that is a big box store saw has surprised me.

I've cut many million BdFt of logs in my career and have owned 25+ saws Stihl-Husky-and 1 Jonsered. Hands down Stihl. Haven't bought a husky in 8-10 years , no need to Stihl has never let me down. Maybe husky has improved since the last one I owned.

Hands down Stihl. Haven’t bought a husky in 8-10 years , no need to Stihl has never let me down. Maybe husky has improved since the last one I owned.

One of my neighbors who is a logger swears by Husky because of the air injection system and the resistance to icing. It just depends on who you talk to. It all depends on which Husky versus which Stihl.

If I were to spend money today on a professional saw I'd buy a Dolmar 7900.

My plan is to go with one of each. I currently have a Husky 345 that is a nice little saw. I'm looking to get a larger Stihl for cutting the bigger stuff. I was considering going with a Shindaiwa but they don't have a model in between the 490 and the 757. Bummer.

Hi,
Like I said in my frist post I am new here and don't want to step on toes. Go with STIHL and don't even look back. I have been selling and working on them for 16 years now. I also sell Echo. and Dolmar. I did have a Husky and a Johnny Red dealer ship but dropped them for many reasons. I will say husky makes a good saw in the xp line. the 340,345,350 and the ranchers are fair But still have a plastic crankcase. Stihl stands behide the products and there dealers. Oh by the way the husky's air injection system does not stop icing of the carb. Only if has a hole in the top cover to blow warm air by the carb. I could go on and on ..lol.. I hope this helps..If and of you are on a fixed income go with a Echo they are one heck of a saw for the money. I think Home Depot carries a few of them.. I hope this helps

I wish you the best of luck...

Icing cannot be eliminated regardless of saw brand. Condensation is going to happen no matter what. I limit icing by using Isopropyl alcohol in gas during below freezing temps and keeping saw in tool box or under truck cap to keep snow off and slow temp swings.

Carb and filter icing can be a problem for us northerners---worse if you're near big water.

Most pro Stihls MS 260 to MS 660 have a "winter" air block plate to warm the air going into the filter/carb. We replace the fleece filter with a nylon filter for winter cutting in snow or below freezing work.

Anyone know if the newer Husky XP models have a carb "warming" method ? My tiny Husky 36 has nothing for icing.

which saw is better?

whichever one i'm using at the time, as long as it works. the discussion is exactly like drof/chevy/dodge/toyota. there is no correct answer.

i forgot, i also have an old craftsman, circa 1970. small. stores great in the jeep. but i sure wouldn't want to use it for more than 5 minutes at a time.

I've looked at both Husky and Stihl, decided that neither can do quite as well as a Dolmar, though all are probably reasonably good saws. However remember that Poulan, Husky and Jonesred are all owned by Electrolux - a company that is noted for making products that suck... The small Husky's are basically the same as Poulan's - big box, home-owner grade crap... (I own a Poulan... :blank: )

Currently I think the best deal out there may be the Dolmar 7900 - 80cc, 6+ HP in stock trim, 13.6lbs (less than Husky or Stihl 70cc / 4-5hp models) comparable in price to the Husky-Stihl 60-70 cc saws, and factory reccomended for any bar from 20-32"

However other opinions may vary, it is definitely a "Ford/Chevy" debate - even if I prefer Dodge...

Gooserider

wally said:
which saw is better?

whichever one i'm using at the time, as long as it works.

Could not agree more. I even have an old junk Poulan (not pro) that I bring along only if the other two saws get stuck. Sad to say, it has happened.

I do like my Stihl the best then the Poulan Pro.

I have used a Husky 18"-372 XPG for 5 years. No carb icing, plus the handwarmer works great. I also have a Stihl 16"-026 Pro, 11 years old. Both have been superb saws with practically no problems of any kind.

Both are great saws. I'm a bit of a Stihl guy, would love a new 260 Pro - they scream. My old 038 and heavy but reliable 029 have been very good saws. Use the Stihl RS chain, keep it sharp, and you'll throw some chips. I also have an Echo saw (3450 I think) that is a GREAT little lightweight saw for limbing, saplings, and trimming. I put a 14" bar and Stihl RS chain on it and use it for all kinds of smaller cutting.

Don't know how well it works, but my Dolmar has a cute setup to (allegedly) reduce / prevent icing... It is a little window in the front of the carb chamber wall that separates the carb area from the cylinder - there is a sliding peice that you flip one way for warm weather cutting that blocks the opening, and flip the other way when cutting in under 5*C weather (per the manual) which opens the hole and feeds hot air from the cylinder cooling fins into the carb area. Seems like a nice idea in theory anyway. (I don't really want to test it - temps like that are the reason they make indoors.... :lol: )

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.