Do you put your splits on or near the stove.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

guest5234

Been putting a couple of logs on top of my stove near the back where it aint really hot, notice after a couple of hours the moisture drops from say 20% to around 15% anyone else do it?
Would not leave the room when doing this by the way.

I put my splits in the stove. Not as long of a burn, though.

Neil said:
they dont get that hot on my stove at the back as it has a convection panel..they just get warm and lower moisture.
If you check your installation manual it says no combustible materials within 0.505 metres of the centreline of the stovepipe. I'm sure that must include cord wood balanced on top of the stove.
Neil said:
after a couple of hours the moisture drops from say 20% to around 15%
I doubt it. Maybe there is a slight drying effect on the outer skin of the wood but nothing that is going to make a noticeable effect. My wood is seasoned in the desert sun, with temperatures in the 90's every day and humidity below 30%, and it still takes months to season. I can't see how just getting a piece of wood warm over a couple of hours could have any effect whatsoever on the moisture content.

I'm not a big fan of external combustion when it comes to my woodstoves. Rick

My splits go INTO my stove.

I put nothing combustible on my hearth... ie. within clearances as established in the Jotul Oslo manual.

Neil said:
OK guys I get the drift...silly mistake by me.

Aye Neil, we enjoy your company, would hate to lose it :)

By the way, my step-daughter did a semester of college there in Nottingham, not sure if that makes us related, but hey, it provides a bit of a connection eh?

i put my splits on my hearth, the temps never got above 125...

considering my walls are hotter, i am not worried

Status
Not open for further replies.