Do you run your stove all day?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
NorthernQuad said:
I wont know if i'm a 24/7 person. This is my first season with my Sante Fe, heating about 1000 square feet.

You will be when the cold weather hits...

24/7 on t-stat and stove set to the smart-stat mode. ;-)

Fish,
I run mine 24/7 when cold weather hits. Shoulder season I will shut her down if it gets warm out and noone is home during the day. Pretty safe bet it will run full time from Dec. 1 through Feb. with Sunday afternoon cleanings only. Great stove choice!! Wifey and I really liked the Yankee Bay insert we saw at local fair a few weeks back. If new stove is ever purchased the Yankee will be on the short list. Use the t-stat if at all possible to maximize your pellets. Love the Pacific Northwest, lived in Spokane and Idaho for a few years. Really miss it.

Schoondog

Fish, we also burn 24/7 from November to March...That said, obviously there are days that are too warm to burn all day so I'll let the stove go out during the day and run it at night. I was very surprised to use only 2 ton of pellets last year. I am only heating 1300 square feet. It's a 200 year old house where I live on the first floor and rent out the second (which has it's own steam heat) My floor is very, very well insulated and it really makes a difference. I trust my stove and it's safety systems but I also have several fire extinguishers near as well as smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.

I have learned a lot about pellets and burned many different brands, keeping track of the stove temps and the amount of ash. I have ended my search with two excellent pellets...Okanagans and Cubex. I'm actually itchy to start burning!

Chan

24/7 but not until it's cold out and stays cold. Stove will
cook me out of here otherwise. Roughly 1400 sq ft ranch
but I'm only heating around 900 sq ft with the pellet stove.
Normally burn approx. 2 1/2 tons per heating season.

Funny you say 65-68 is toasty. If my house is less than 70* I am getting complaints!

briansol said:
Most of us run 24/7 (off for cleaning only) from November through march.

Pellet has far better heat regulation than a wood stove, especially if you have a model that supports a thermostat.

On low, I use about 1 bag a day, which means i use about 3 tons a year. My house stays a toasty 65-68 in most rooms of my house which is more than comfortable for me. The hallway gets almost too hot, but it makes the living areas nice and cozy and the bedrooms stay a bit cooler for better sleeping. I use very little oil (just what my hot water demands, backup, lower level room that heat can't get to etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.