Do you tip your wood guy?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mpaul

Burning Hunk
So this year I was fortunate enough to get setup with a local tree service company. Anytime I send him a message, he brings me a trailer load of hard wood logs (usually about a cord per delivery). I’m finally starting to get two years ahead! All for no charge.

I’ve read other posts where some of you give a six or twelve pack of beer as a thank you per delivery. However, not knowing their background I’d rather not provide alcohol.

So my question is for those who get logs delivered, do you give them holiday tips and if so, what are you giving this holiday season?

So this year I was fortunate enough to get setup with a local tree service company. Anytime I send him a message, he brings me a trailer load of hard wood logs (usually about a cord per delivery). I’m finally starting to get two years ahead! All for no charge.

I’ve read other posts where some of you give a six or twelve pack of beer as a thank you per delivery. However, not knowing their background I’d rather not provide alcohol.

So my question is for those who get logs delivered, do you give them holiday tips and if so, what are you giving this holiday season?
If a local tree service company brought me a cord of HARDWOOD at no charge anyt I called. I’d pass out! When I woke up I’d tip then and there plus the Holidays!
A hand shake and a glass of lemonade on hot summer day goes a long ways. Plus it give you a chance to listen to them tell you what they like. Gift certificates at butcher shop if they like steak or grilling. Drop off a block of ice for their water can when they’re working at 110 degrees . A days ski lift pass at a local ski area if the like winter. Just show that you genuinely appreciate what they are doing.

Reactions: fbelec
Definitely. 10,20,50 all depends on your ability and appreciation.

Reactions: 1kzwoman
I give my regular guy $100 for 2 cords of hardwood logs. It keeps him answering my calls and it's always good wood. Random tree guys I run into I'll drop $20 or $40 if they're willing to drop in my driveway on the way home from a job.

I could probably pay less but an extra $20 or $40 is money well spent for quality hardwood delivered to your driveway.

i guess my wood guy doesn't count because he is my neighbor and i do his electrical work and he dumps wood at my house and we drink beers together. like yesterday at his fire pit. :)

My wife and I settled on generous gift certificates to a local favorite restaurant for the owner and his coworker.
To your point we want you make sure we show our appreciation. But this needs to be balanced with the cost of wood in general. Locally I can get unseasoned hardwood spilt and delivered for about $175/ cord.

Yes be he wouldn’t take it. He knew what he was dropping off. It was Sunday and he just cleaned up what wouldn’t fit in the roll off. Too long to short FULL of big knots.

You bet! Creates a good relationship. Shows you appreciate them. I usually give cash or local gift cards.