Does a "Cut-Off" Saw or "Chop" Saw Exist for Wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably too late to help Dan, but let me describe what I did. Using a $50 electric 14 in. chainsaw, I built a Tee from 2x4s, the upright being about 12 in. tall, the crossbar (top) of the tee being about 30 in. Put on a 1x2 diagonal brace to stiffen the whole thing. Drilled (actually just enlarged existing hole) 1/4 in. hole thru the bar of the saw just behind the nose roller. Drilled a similar 1/4 hole thru the side of the upright of the tee about 4 inches from the intersection with the crossbar. Turned the whole thing upside down (crossbar is now a foot) and screwed it to a plywood table with the upright beyond the right end of the table and set back from the edge about 6 in. Put a 1/4 in. bolt thru the hole in the upright and thru the hole in the bar of the chainsaw (with a washer between to prevent contact). Viola! Chain-chopsaw! I tied a cord from the top of the upright to the handle of the chainsaw to limit downward travel (which would cut into the foot) and set a hard stop at my desired length. Feed the wood out to the stop with the left hand, work the saw with the right, park the wheelbarrow underneath to catch the drops. Placed a 2x4 along the edge of the table for a backstop (the saw wants to pull the limb towards you). Working on a left hand lever clamp to keep the wood from spinning. Will post pictures when I get home and can get to it.

Craig

This is pretty much what i did but with 2 pallets. Just rip some of the end boards off each one and mesh them together - add a few screws and you are in business for the cost of a few screws.

Flatbedford said:
I use this.
0526101316.jpg

I'd do the stand & chainsaw thing. Stack & cut. Has to be better than cutting up a bunch of 2 inch stuff one piece at a time - but everyone is free to do what they want with their time.

We tend to use these things around my neck of the woods for cutting up limb wood and medium sized bucked logs.

Attachments

• buzzsaw.jpg
    buzzsaw.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 548
This is my chop saw for 10" diameter and under

Attachments

• Firewood Ramblings 005 (Custom).jpg
    Firewood Ramblings 005 (Custom).jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 1,525
  • Firewood Ramblings 004 (Custom).jpg
    Firewood Ramblings 004 (Custom).jpg
    77 KB · Views: 688
  • Firewood Ramblings 006 (Custom).jpg
    Firewood Ramblings 006 (Custom).jpg
    79 KB · Views: 587
rottiman said:
This is my chop saw for 10" diameter and under

That is great.Thanks for sharing.

I saw them working this system while in Bulgaria. A few old fellows working with an open blade. No OSHA here.

Attachments

• Bulgaria140.jpg
    Bulgaria140.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 483
Joey said:
Thats fantastic Rotti,,,is that your own invention?????

Yes, it is. I am a welder/fabricator by trade. Wanted something to be able to cut uniform 16" pieces quickly. Allows one- handed operation of saw and allows you to cut as quick as heck. When you put a second person feeding the table you can really wail. Probably cut in excess of 100 cord on it. nice part about it is that the piece being cut DOES NOT kick up making it really safe to cut small branches.

Status
Not open for further replies.