does anyone ever use these fans?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I've been debating getting one as well. Interested to see what people think of them.

Definitely not a must have. It is a no maintenance (set and forget), no noise fan that moves warm air gently (hold paper in front of fan and you can see the rising fan breeze. It's a curiosity that we enjoy. It does indicate relative heat of stove (spinning/ or not and speed of spin). Also have the doorway fan. It's fairly quiet and swivels. It contributes to some background noise.
However a more effective method, as past posters have noted, is to use a small floor fan to blow cooler (denser) air toward the heating room, thereby creating convection currents, moving the warm air around.

Reactions: Squisher
I have one, I'm pretty sure it doesn't do much but it looks cool and when I get up in the morning and see it still spinning good, I know I had a decent overnight burn.

Reactions: Doc C
I have one. Moves very little to less air. It is a good way to tell how hot the stove top is from across the room.

They are a very fun conversation piece. I have an electric fan near my stove that actually moves air around the room.

I just saw these on Amazon and HOLY CRAP!!! I didnt realize there were so many of them...lol

Anyone use them? http://amzn.to/2hmd2Hi
I bought an eco-fan when I had my insert installed. I figured it would push the warm air out into the room during a power outage since inserts are much more dependent on their internal fans than a free stander. Funny thing is we haven't had a power outage since I had the insert installed. I have placed it on top of my Hampton HI300 during really cold weather and turned the internal fan off to see how the eco-fan would work. It does seem to move the warm air into the room but certainly not as much as the insert fan does.

I guess if we have a power outage this winter the eco-fan will get it's first real test.

I have had two of them on the 30-NC that is half buried in the fireplace for two seasons. They do a decent job of pulling some of the heat out into the living space. My goal wasn't to blast air into the room but just to get performance close to if the whole stove was out in the room.

A ceiling fan in the stove room is the most effective