Does anyone here have either a H2100 or I3100L regency model insert and takes IR readings?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fcwest14

Dec 20, 2015
Weston, CT
I would like to buy a IR thermometer to check against the condar one I have on the stove, as I think it's reading lower than the actual temp. I just don't know the best area on my insert (my profile picture shows the actual unit) to take the reading, such that I get the most accurate temp. I very much appreciate any advice on this! Thanks a ton.

not familiar with the unit but isn't there a portion of the insert that sticks out from the firebox? i would pick someplace up on top of that area and give it a whirl. about the thermostat not displaying properly....you could drop it in some boiling water and see what the temp comes to. should read somewhere around 220, if you can keep it up off the burner. get a piece of string, tie it to the meter then stretch a wooden spoon or utensil across the pot and tie the string to the utensil to suspend the thermometer in the water.....if its within 20 degrees, i'd think its close enough.

Use the top left corner of the front just above where the door closes (kinda behind the handle). I have a magnetic there and it reads well there. I tested with an IR and my magnetic was reading too high iirc. It was easy enough to correct by over turning the spring a little to get it so it read the same as the IR at the same spot.

With the I3100, the front is a little cooler than a typical "stove top" so adjust your expectations a little downwards of what you would normally think is a typical temp. I usually wait for the front to be in the 500F ish range +/- on the magnetic iirc before starting to close the primary air.

Reactions: fcwest14
Status
Not open for further replies.