Does Baffle Need To Be Replaced?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

deborita3

Burning Hunk
Oct 25, 2018
New York
I have a quadra fire 3100i pre act insert. I was wondering if the steel baffle needs replacing or if it's OK to use. It seems to be breaking off in certain. spots. What causes this?Am I burning too hot? If needs replacing what do you recommend? Another steel baffle or is there another kind that can be used in this stove? The steel baffle is a little expensive. Appreciate any feedback

20231004_170750.jpg 20231004_170733.jpg

It's deteriorating after a good long life of service. It will eventually burn a hole through the thinnest area. If the intent is to keep the stove then I would have a replacement on hand. The simple part is expensive, unnecessarily so, IMO. You might want to take this to a good sheet metal shop that works with stainless steel and get a quote for fabrication. It's a simple piece that should be easy to make.

Reactions: deborita3
I agree with Begreen, take that to a steel supplier/fab shop. I bet they could cut and break a stainless one for half the price.

Ideally use a 400 series stainless steel, 300 series could warp a lot.

Or just go with plain mild steel, would be cheaper yet again, may require replacing every 5 years or so though.

I wouldn't be surprised if the original was mild steel.

It's deteriorating after a good long life of service. It will eventually burn a hole through the thinnest area. If the intent is to keep the stove then I would have a replacement on hand. The simple part is expensive, unnecessarily so, IMO. You might want to take this to a good sheet metal shop that works with stainless steel and get a quote for fabrication. It's a simple piece that should be easy to make.
Thank you! The condition it is in now do you think I could get another winter of burning out of it?

There’s a zero percent chance I would pay 400 for that basic sheet of steel. I bet it was originally mild steel and thats a very easy thing to make for any metal shop. I personally wouldn’t burn another season on it as that center looks very thin compared to the rest of it.

There’s a zero percent chance I would pay 400 for that basic sheet of steel. I bet it was originally mild steel and thats a very easy thing to make for any metal shop. I personally wouldn’t burn another season on it as that center looks very thin compared to the rest of it.
Can something other than steel be used like a fiberboard baffle? I'm going to look into hiw much it would cost to have a steel one fabricated

Can something other than steel be used like a fiberboard baffle? I'm going to look into hiw much it would cost to have a steel one fabricated

I’m sure it could be, but it might change burn characteristics. I’ll let someone more knowledgeable than me chime in on it.

The old one may or may not make it through another season. That's why I suggest having a replacement ready. Once it burns through, other damage can occur that will be more costly. Have a metal shop bend one up for you. They may do it for $100.

Vermiculite or ceramic fiberboard might work, but it will not have the deflector edge on the front. That can cause heat to concentrate more at the front and cause other issues.

Yup just 1 bend on a new piece of mild steel. Should be plenty of places in NY that will do that.
Stainless would be even better if you want that upgrade.

$400 for that stock piece is nuts!

The old one may or may not make it through another season. That's why I suggest having a replacement ready. Once it burns through, other damage can occur that will be more costly. Have a metal shop bend one up for you. They may do it for $100.

Vermiculite or ceramic fiberboard might work, but it will not have the deflector edge on the front. That can cause heat to concentrate more at the front and cause other issues.
Appreciate the feedback. What other issues would a ceramic fiberboard cause without the deflector edge?

As noted, there is the potential for warping components in front of the baffle like an air wash deflector. Other than that, as long as it is made of a durable, high-temp material it should still function well as a baffle. It will be more vulnerable than metal so avoid banging it with wood while loading and when cleaning the flue.

The metal bend also adds structural strength to the flat plate steel to help with warping.

I ordered a fiberboard baffle that said it was for a quadra fire 3100i pre act woodstove insert but when I got it, it was too small for my stove. Anyone know the right dimension? All the ones I look up online give me the same one I just ordered.

How much smaller was it? Why not just go with the original steel style and have a metal shop fab it?

It's just temporary. Hoping to get through this season and then get one fabricated. It's about 3 inches smaller in length.

It still fits the width though correct? 3” shouldn’t be enough to drastically affect it but I could be wrong.

if it's just temporary just stick that old baffle back in.

Reactions: weee123
if it's just temporary just stick that old baffle back in.
Yes. that's what my husband did. He put the old baffle back in and the new smaller fiberboard on top in case the old steel baffle gets burned through the fiberboard will be there. I don't think it will burn through but want to be on the safe side until I can get one fabricated

Reactions: EbS-P