Does burning coal damage SS chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick G

Jan 4, 2006
I have an old non-cat wood/coal stove hooked up to a SS chimney stack. I've been thinking of picking up a load of coal to get me through the rest of the season but I've been told that coal fumes will eat up my SS pipe. Is this true? Should coal only be piped through a masonry stack? Any insight would be appreciated.

Ol’Nash said:
been told that coal fumes will eat up my SS pipe. Is this true? Should coal only be piped through a masonry stack

*cough, cough* BOOSHAT *cough,cough*

You know those BIG powerplants that make electricity?
All the tubes inside are stainless steel

babalu is right. you'll be fine. However, if you've never burned coal before you'll be in for an interesting time.

All I know about burning coal is what I've read on this forum...Any pointers would be much appreciated.

well, as a long time coal burner if you need any specific info just ask. the first quesiton is what kind of coal will you be burning and what size? a lot depends on that.

Hey Babalu, I'm planning on picking up a 3610 next season. I need something to heat an old farmhouse and after look at whats out there I narrowed it down to the Moroso. This will be my first cast iron stove. How do they differ from burning plate steel?

All I know is that the ss liner warranty is either shorter or nonexistant if you burn coal. Something to do with sulfuric acid, especially if you burn a combination of wood and coal. Apparently water from the wood combines with the sulfur from the coal to form the acid.

I doubt if a few short months is going to undermine your liner, but it's something to check with the mfg. on, I think.

yea, that sulfur trioxide is a real pain. but like i said you'll be fine, short duration of burning coal, and since its anthricite, it will have no real effect on your liner. Thats one of the reasons i don't like SS liners though, lack of durability compared to clay.

I am using a SS triple wall chimney pipe with my coal stove. I read the manufacturer's for the pipe, Air Jet, suggestions about coal. They said no soft (bituminous) coal but OK to burn antricite. But they also said to clean pipe thoroughly when season is over. I'll either brush it clean and dump some bicarbonate of soda down to neutralize the acid (read that somewhere - maybe here) or take the whole chimney down and clean the sections on the ground - don't know yet.

Yes, burning coal will effect the stainless liner.

This talk I keep reading about pouring sodium bicarbonate down the chimney. So do you give it a cleaning then just pour it down or pour it in an give it a brushing to work it in? Are we talking about a box of Arm and Hammer or is there something marketed especially for this purpose?

I've only heard of people using Arm and Hammer, but I'm not at all sure if there is a product marketed specifically for this. I've never done this myself, so I cannot make any claims to how well it works, if at all.

well i have homesaver utlra pro ss and ti liner that has a lifetime warranty as long as it is cleaned once a year

Status
Not open for further replies.