Does my catalyst need to be replaced?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I have been looking for part # 102938.

This was old thread I made looking for it.

The stove is beautiful and functions perfectly in the space... and very little else fits in there.
I just wish I could fit my new mixing grate in... so i can push the back burn plate flush all the way back. BUT the rectangular portion of the inner back plate is melted and keeping everything else from fitting. It is not something that can just be cut off.

I saw a cheap junker stove of that model, but I did not realize at the time that I needed the parts.

I don’t know which model Fireview you have but both the older model 201 and new 205 have an access hole for a catalytic probe. It should be covered by a removable screw. The baffles of the two are a bit different so I believe the 201 access is on the back left side and the 205 on the right.

I don’t know which model Fireview you have but both the older model 201 and new 205 have an access hole for a catalytic probe. It should be covered by a removable screw. The baffles of the two are a bit different so I believe the 201 access is on the back left side and the 205 on the right.
He is talking about the jotul

Reactions: N.E.K. - D.D.S.
Yes this is exactly what I said. No smoke either way. So I am still confused as to whether cat is functioning
You will likely never have smoke with cat probe above 1100°F, even if your cat is toast, as you can achieve non-catalytic reburn at these temperatures. But check your plume when the probe is reading just 500 - 1000°F, this will be your indicator of catalyst function.

Sorry if that's already been mentioned, I'm one Manhattan into a Friday evening, and got bored of reading around post #11. ;lol

Reactions: Todd and bholler
You will likely never have smoke with cat probe above 1100°F, even if your cat is toast, as you can achieve non-catalytic reburn at these temperatures. But check your plume when the probe is reading just 500 - 1000°F, this will be your indicator of catalyst function.
This is interesting. Okay, will check soon when blue skies, and cold enough to light it.
Sorry if that's already been mentioned, I'm one Manhattan into a Friday evening, and got bored of reading around post #11. ;lol
That is one of the best cocktails of all time. it is to cocktails what the 3TDIC-2 is to stoves.

Do you ever make a "Perfect Manhattan" (name of the drink)? It uses dry as well as sweet vermouth (instead of only sweet). Bitters not really necessary in that one, because there is enough going on and it is very clean and light (though stealthily potent).

Normal proportions of the two vermouths to whiskey are 1/2 to 1/2 to 2. However, my mother's legendary version is 1:1:2. Just be sure to use some decent vermouths. This makes stoves function better.

Reactions: Todd and Ashful
Do you ever make a "Perfect Manhattan" (name of the drink)? It uses dry as well as sweet vermouth (instead of only sweet). Bitters not really necessary in that one, because there is enough going on and it is very clean and light (though stealthily potent).
Yes, but it was so many years ago, that I should try one again. My Manhattan uses rye for a bit more bite, and relies critically on Carpano Formula Antica sweet vermouth, to the point where I’d say don’t even bother trying to make one without that specific vermouth. Here’s my recipe:

2 oz any good rye (eg Woodford)
3/4 to 1 oz Carpano Formula Antica sweet vermouth
2-3 Luxardo deluxe maraschino cherries (again, MUST be Luxardo, or don’t bother)
1 dash Angostura bitters

The trouble is, if you ever try this, you will never be able to enjoy another Manhattan from a bar or restaurant, with the obligatory Martini & Rossi vermouth and awful unnaturally dyed formaldehyde-soaked cherries.

This morning is clear and cold, at least here. Time to check the plume?