Does P.E. Summit EBT make noise?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Willhound

Feeling the Heat
Nov 20, 2005
Northern Ontario, Canada
I am definately not trying to re-open the discussion on how EBT works, or what it is supposed to do.

Having said that, it is now my second full day of burning my Summit insert (love it even more than yesterday!) and I've noticed a small noise, sort of a "ping" that comes and goes when I run with the damper closed, or near to closing. Looking at the drawings on the Chimney Sweep's online site, it looks to me like the hinged EBT plate is actuated by the bent rod, but is then free to drop into place? Is this the noise I am hearing, or is it just the steel pinging from cooling down ? It seems a little too consistent for metal contraction.

Any ideas from Roospike or the other Summit folks out there?

Willhound

Sup buddy ....... & O , NO we wont go there on the EBT again , ha . Mine does not make any noise from the EBT that i can hear . Your EBT box should be under your ash pan on the right side ( if you can get to it on an insert ) Now my stove does ping when wood is loaded on a "reload" or a little bit one the downing of the damper from the secondary burn chamber up top. Now i know my glass makes all likds of noise when the door is opened from a hot fire or hot coal and then more pinging from the glass when the door is reshut . Listen to the glass ........it might be what you are hearing .

Yeah, I played with it last night by cranking things up a bit and then closing down the damper. I guess it's just the steel plate in the stove cooling down. Sounds different though. Stove plate is usually more of a "ticking" sound. This is a well defined "ping" as if the EBT damper plate was bouncing or something. Also seems to come at relatively regular intervals. Maybe the EBT spring? Might be ratcheting a bit as it winds and unwinds? I know my insert sat in storage for about a year as the quality control sticker says October 2004, so maybe rusted somehow?

Not a big deal, the unit seems to work fine, just catches my attention whenever it happens.

Oh, and I know exactly what you mean about the glass. It does make some interesting sounds when you open and close the door, but that's not the sound I'm hearing. Also, no ash pan on the inserts. It's the old shovel and bucket method. I guess because they sit flush to the base with no legs.

Willhound

Willhound said:
I know my insert sat in storage for about a year as the quality control sticker says October 2004, so maybe rusted somehow?

Willhound
Really !? As short/behind as P.E. says they are on wood stoves and getting them build that seems like a older date , Maybe it was a stove they had to get from a showroom in Florida ? Ha ! The quality control sticker date on my P.E. stove said Sep . 26th 2005 . Speaking of ........Florida , i had to wait on Double wall black stove pipe because there was nothing around in the warehouses so they had to have it UPS'ed form a store in Florida ....Odd . I told the manager that had to order it to make sure they didnt "short" anybody down there in Florida on stove pipe . , unreal .

I figured the line about my insert sitting in storage might raise a few eyebrows. It was in my dealers warehouse. They try to keep at least a few of each model in stock, I think because wood burning around here is a pretty steady thing with even a lot of new construction making provisions for wood burning installation, so maybe not as affected by peaks and cycles, although I'm sure this winter might be different. And I initially made my deal back in early November, so ended up with one that they had left over from the previous winter. I'm sure that they might be having the same difficulty as everyone else is now, although, I can tell you that we opted for the plain black door and surround trim because, A) it saved us about $200, and B) my wife found the gold trim a little too gaudy for her tastes. So the dealer special ordered these a few weeks ago (most people want the gold, so it is in stock) and they were here in about 3 days. Of course, a whole insert might be a different story.

I went in to pay off the final bill on my install yesterday, and the dealer related to me that they had just sold another Summit insert and it was being installed later this week. I don't know if this was another one they had in storage, or one they ordered.

Willhound

Very smart if they do have them in storage, cant sell them if you dont have them . My local dealer has display stoves and orders them as sold . They have a big place and lots of stuff but just not too bright on the sales end of things. When my stove came in the dealer told me he couldnt order just one at a time or as sold this year because of the high demand so he ordered 30 stoves to have on hand , he ordered 30 in late October this year ....... Pacific Energy said to that order ........Yeah Right. The dealer is still waiting on stoves buyers had bought in August and has not got in yet . I think he is dreaming with a stove order of 30 in late October. I bet he will have good deals in the spring .......... As for the doors and trim , I like the gold doors and gold legs on the black stove but not for me in my house , they looked good at the dealer but just was not my flavor for my set up . I dont have the big good looks of a fireplace hearth to make the stove look good , i just didnt have that option so a standard black free standing stove didnt work either thus is why i went with the Porcelain Enamel option . I still went with the black door and black legs because i thougt the red enamel and all the gold looked too "doll house" or too ritzy for our house set up . Unlike some peoples homes i know that have that "better homes and gardens" look to them and have stoves and dont use them. I guess that why stoves have "options" to fit the needs . Just my thoughts.

Roospike said:
As for the doors and trim , I like the gold doors and gold legs on the black stove but not for me in my house , they looked good at the dealer but just was not my flavor for my set up . I dont have the big good looks of a fireplace hearth to make the stove look good , i just didnt have that option so a standard black free standing stove didnt work either thus is why i went with the Porcelain Enamel option . I still went with the black door and black legs because i thougt the red enamel and all the gold looked too "doll house" or too ritzy for our house set up . Unlike some peoples homes i know that have that "better homes and gardens" look to them and have stoves and dont use them. I guess that why stoves have "options" to fit the needs . Just my thoughts.

Agree 100% on the black thing. If I had gone freestanding, it definatley would have been coloured enamel, and yes, probabley the red. My buddy has a red Summit, complete with the doll house gold door and legs, and in his setting with a grey brick back drop it is stunning. His experience with the free standing was what pushed me in the direction of the Summit insert since they are essentially the same internals and operating parameters.

In our particular case, we always loved the sandstone effect of our existing hearth, we just hated the inneficiency and heat loss, so we both agreed that when we looked at inserts, whatever the final unit was couldn't overshadow or take away from the exisiting hearth. That's why the black, and we also liked the relatively clean, uncluttered design of the Summit, as compared to some other manufacturer's with "frilly" surrounds etc. Don't get me wrong. If that's what you like or want, more power to you. It's just not what we wanted.
Our installer actually complimented us on our steadfastness in going with what we wanted, not the flavour of the month, or because the neighbours had it. As he pointed out, this is something we will be living with for a long time, so it's important that the owner be happy. He related a few horror stories to me about installs he had done, only to come back in a year or two and change everything because the people grew tired of it, or the fashion had changed.

Must be nice to have the $$$ to work that way, but I sure can't.

Willhound

Status
Not open for further replies.