Does this diagnosis make sense?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
We had a similar problem. Serious grade 3 glazed creosote from previous owner. Had a sweep use chains to break up the serious chunks. Then they acid washed the chimney and the remainder melted down... Then a insulated dropped in. Cost about 650$ they were out for almost 9 hours.

I guess a good chimney sweep is one that works with you and solves your problem in return for money. The sweep you called clearly isn't interested in solving your problem, so you will need to call another. There are a lot of sweeps up here since a lot of folks in New England like to burn cord wood to stay warm. Just call someone else and ask them what it will cost to get a wood or pellet stove into the house in a location that will adequately heat the home while being safe. You do at least have one flue that's in operational condition, with a second that could be used. Maybe it will be easier for you to install a prefab in a totally different location. You have many other options than outlined by the first sweep.

We had a similar problem. Serious grade 3 glazed creosote from previous owner. Had a sweep use chains to break up the serious chunks. Then they acid washed the chimney and the remainder melted down... Then a insulated dropped in. Cost about 650$ they were out for almost 9 hours.

Wow, that's not bad! What type of liner did you have previously?

650 was just For the cleaning...not the liner.was going to be way more expensive to knockout 26 feet of 15 inch clay liner

Actually, they are going to follow up with a quote. The two guys out there thought the issue was serious enough that they wanted to consult somebody more senior at their shop before suggesting a plan. I apologize if I didn’t make that clear, but I have a lot of respect for people who will actually say “I don’t know” when they don’t know.

Actually, they are going to follow up with a quote. The two guys out there thought the issue was serious enough that they wanted to consult somebody more senior at their shop before suggesting a plan. I apologize if I didn’t make that clear, but I have a lot of respect for people who will actually say “I don’t know” when they don’t know.
Well in that case see what plan they come back with. I can respect their answer

Reactions: soulbarn
I am no expert but if that was my home, i would junk the wood stove and chimney and just have a new one installed and rebuild the chimney. Look, your home is your home and a fire is no joke. Forget burning creosote logs, just redo the entire thing. It is worth it. We had ours done for an total of 3500.00 and that was the best I have ever spent. New chimney and stove. Out insurance company requires us to turn over the inspection report every year before fire season because they will not cover us if we do not take care of maintenance.

I am no expert but if that was my home, i would junk the wood stove and chimney and just have a new one installed and rebuild the chimney. Look, your home is your home and a fire is no joke. Forget burning creosote logs, just redo the entire thing. It is worth it. We had ours done for an total of 3500.00 and that was the best I have ever spent. New chimney and stove. Out insurance company requires us to turn over the inspection report every year before fire season because they will not cover us if we do not take care of maintenance.
I really doubt there is any need to junk the entire chimney because of some creosote. Just break out the clay and line it.

Reactions: jetsam
Get a sweep that will at least try to chip out the thimble and clean it out and then they'll go to the roof and try to get at least a bare rod down through to the bottom. In many cases that will break out enough of the glaze that they can then get a rotary cleaning head down through it and start from the bottom and work their way up and get the glaze out. At that point they can - A. Determine that the liner is indeed shot (most likely), B. get the tile breaker down there to break out the old terra cotta to make room for an insulated stainless liner.

Unless they need a helicopter to get to the top of the chimney. Then you're on your own.

I really doubt there is any need to junk the entire chimney because of some creosote. Just break out the clay and line it.

It appears there is a lot of uncertainty. If that's the case then better to be certain about it then not and end up burning your house down. That us my point.