D'oh!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cross Cut Saw

Feeling the Heat
Mar 25, 2012
Boulder, CO
Had a brief journey into the red this morning, luckily I have a lot of time before I go to work...
Cured by putting in a not so big green round and shutting down the air.
I had gotten distracted and the large coal bed took off very quickly once I loaded it...

!!!;em 2013-01-25 06.24.43.jpg;em!!!

Been there done that. I try to get a two burns in the morning before I leave in the morning, usually 1 1/2 hour period. The first one is one to get up things back up to temps, then I load it up early with a big load of hedge/locust/mulberry. Let that start, but careful not get out of hand and then shut her down. Then let her idle the rest of the day. But I have to be there the whole time or it doesnt take minutes before the right time and beyond that time happens.

The Red looks like anywhere above 675*.....would bother me a bit, but I doubt any concern of an overfire......I'd want to bring it down also.....I've spent a few nights on the couch at 2am watching it to make sure it's stable

The Red looks like anywhere above 675*.....would bother me a bit, but I doubt any concern of an overfire......I'd want to bring it down also.....I've spent a few nights on the couch at 2am watching it to make sure it's stable

It got over 700::F!!!

I had the same problem this morning stove took off on me as I cleaned out all the ashes last night, which that allowed the over night burns nice big coal bed have lots of air flow thru the coals, the stove really took off on me.

This week was the first time I've come close to those temps since I have had the PH. The increased draft combined with my giving more air and I have seen 600 now, but haven't gotten it as hot as you have (yet). I can only imagine what the heat felt like and the fire looked like to get it that hot. Makes you glad you know how to bring it down and that the stove will react and come under control. My first stove would keep rising and start glowing once it got going good - had to cover the air intake more than once to bring it under control.

Reactions: Cross Cut Saw
It was a combination of too many smaller splits (I didn't feel like going outside for some larger ones), feeding the cats, feeding the dog, feeding the kids, D'OH!

It was hard to get within 2 feet of the glass, had some box fans blowing in it quickly too...

Don't start on the Duffs until you're on the way to work. When starting a stove, you have to be able to focus. ==c

Status
Not open for further replies.