Dollar bill test - how tight?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Amin1992

Feeling the Heat
Oct 9, 2019
PA, USA
Hey guys. I'm sure you all know of tbe dollar bill test for a stove gasket.

Well we bought a home with a stove manufactured in 2017 that I thought failed the test. If I shut it in the door, I could pull it out. Only 3 years old, but who knows.

So I just got done replacing the gasket. Was a lot harder than I thought.

I'm sad to say that replacing the gasket made zero difference. Can still pull the bill out. There was even a washer on the stove handle that I removed to make it that much tighter (0.02" maybe?) and still comes out.

So I guess I'm asking, is the test to see if you cannot pull the bill at all? I mean, if I grab it with just 2 fingers and try to pull it with my wrist only, it won't really budge. But if I use any real force it slides right out.

I will add i put a high powered light in the stove and did not see light through the gasket with the door shut.

Thanks guys

Snug is good. It doesn't have to tear the bill in order to be sealing well enough.

Take door off and bring it to a stove shop, or buy a high density gasket (they wont compress as much) and as with any door gasket, it just sits in the channel, no stretching the gasket while installing it.

Great question with no great answer.

It should require effort to pull the bill out but does not need to rip it.

Some doors use a gasket that sits against a flat surface and some doors have a knife edge seal where a door frame sticks into the rope.

Hinge side of door can't move dollar bill and on the latch side snug fit but can pull bill out. So, not consistent around the door but I think I'm good for now.

Dollar bill is definitely not snug is most spots but I took an incense stick to the entire door and saw no air leaks sucking inward so I suppose that's a plus. But the door is definitely easier to open and close, feels too easy...

Reactions: Shrewboy
When doing the dollar bill test I've always gone with the mantra "If it offers some resistance coming out or even better -- won't budge -- gaskets are good. If it slips out very easily with the gentlest of tugs the gasket should be replaced."

Reactions: Highbeam
If it slips out very easily with the gentlest of tugs the gasket should be replaced."
OR...
On a Harman.. you can adjust the roller on the stove, where the door latches..
And tighten up the door.
Obviously.. you cannot do this many times..

Dan

Most higher end stoves have adjustment on the latch.

Hey guys. I'm sure you all know of tbe dollar bill test for a stove gasket.

Well we bought a home with a stove manufactured in 2017 that I thought failed the test. If I shut it in the door, I could pull it out. Only 3 years old, but who knows.

So I just got done replacing the gasket. Was a lot harder than I thought.

I'm sad to say that replacing the gasket made zero difference. Can still pull the bill out. There was even a washer on the stove handle that I removed to make it that much tighter (0.02" maybe?) and still comes out.

So I guess I'm asking, is the test to see if you cannot pull the bill at all? I mean, if I grab it with just 2 fingers and try to pull it with my wrist only, it won't really budge. But if I use any real force it slides right out.

I will add i put a high powered light in the stove and did not see light through the gasket with the door shut.

Thanks guys
I been through that, on my stove I checked all four corners, and well as the middle of the glass window dead center north and south couldn't move the bill and I pulled so hard I tore the bill on the last try. Guess I'm good.