Dollars of wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JAred

Nov 18, 2005
I can get a full cord of pine scraps feom a local log home builder for 75 bucks or I can spend about 275 for a cord of hard wood split and delivered What would be the most logical course of action? anyone?

Reactions: ScotO
Be careful with the pine because log home builders usually kiln dry their logs so these may burn very hot and fast. You may have to mix them with some regular wood so as not to overfire your stove.

Jared said:
I can get a full cord of pine scraps feom a local log home builder for 75 bucks or I can spend about 275 for a cord of hard wood split and delivered What would be the most logical course of action? anyone?

The logs are a much better deal per BTU. I'd dig up some free hardwood and mix it as the other posts says!

Pretty amazing that the contractor is charging for scraps. These are usually free. Hope that at least includes delivery.

BeGreen said:
Pretty amazing that the contractor is charging for scraps. These are usually free. Hope that at least includes delivery.

Pretty amazing what they're both charging!

I'm thinking I would pass on both and burn oil, propane, gas or electricity at $275 a cord.

Look around. That seems high to say the least.

Well I live in colorado and hard wood is harder to come by..... than just pine, we have pine like a lake has water. but yes 275 a cord seems like an awfull lot of money. If I did get hard wood it would probably be elm they grow wild in a lot of places. Maybe I need to check some local tree trimmers? My appetite for heat has cost about half a cord for october and it was'nt even that cold..... luckily it was free. Last summer I would have gone up to the hills and cut a couple of cords for the winter but I did'nt get my stove in until a month ago and had no real good wood supply.. So it looks like my mission to become independent of someone else to keep me warm (gas company) has gone down the tubes....

$275 is a bit high, but a cord of wood here in St. Louis starts at about $225 if you are lucky to find one (AND they deliver the full cord which never happens even after the 'make-up' delivery is stacked, sigh) and probably goes as high as $300. I'm guessing based upon last years prices from two dealers being $200 and $250. I know they are both going to charge more this year.

I can sympathize with the shortage of wood in Denver all right. Back in the dark ages 1982 83 I lived by the Federal Prison and used to go out to the Platt River with my neighbor to drink beers (many) with my neighbor. It usually took a half an hour to round up enough wood to build a camp fire the place is so lacking. I sure do miss the clear weather but that city living drove us away back to the frozen NE. No shortage of wood here but its like living in a frozen rainforrest in near constant overcast. I bet you can't even have a fireplace in lots of areas on many days there correct? I can remember they used to issue smog alerts and no fire days when the smog was thick. Took a job transfer to Lake Placid NY, what a culture shock that was.

Around here {Richmond VA}I have only seen wood offered by the pickup load. 65-90 bucks a load...so figure 200-270 per cord.

What about electricity usage on a pellet stove? If you figure that in with the cost of pellets does that make any significant difference in your electric bill? Or is it no big deal?

Jared,

As far as pine for firewood, I say go for it. Maybe they would give you a free sample to see how it burns? Pine burns fast and hot so keep an eye on your stove temp. Some people say the best wood is the wood thats most available, In your case pine.

I was thinking of a pellet insert vs gas insert, and was wondering which would be cheaper as far as fuel/gas/electric goes. I guess they would be pretty much the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.