Dolmar 501--Which bar?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cooks4

Nov 21, 2008
Eastern WI
I'm planning to upgrade to a Dolmar 501 soon. It comes standard with an 18" bar (not sure what gauge--3/8 or .325). I considering asking if he'll put a 16" bar on it. Wise move? I'm using the saw to cut firewood--had a load of logs delivered last winter so I'm not dropping anything, just chunking everything up. Most logs are less than 16" in diameter and I'm thinking the 16" bar will perform better than the 18". And related to that, which chain gauge should I go with--3/8 or .325?

Thanks

I have seen references on other forums that the saw will perform better with the 16" bar versus the 18" bar--won't get bogged down as much. I believe the Dolmar website says the 501 accepts 16-18" bar and I'm (somewhat) assuming that overall performance will be better with the smaller bar. If those with experience don't believe there will be appreciable difference, I'll probably buy with the standard 18" bar. I also think the 16" bar won't be as unwieldly as the 18". My old saw has 16" bar and I've used a friend's saw with 18" bar. It's only 2 inches but I could sure tell the difference in the balance and feel.

bigger is not always better.... or so they say, but that is another topic altogether.

bar length also affects balance or 'feel' nose to tip, how does it carry. Also 'inertia' of the entire saw with extra weight added out at the tip when moving it side to side. Extra chain weight is noticeable when spooling up from idle then slowing down again to stop. None of these sound like much, but they are all noticeable.

granted you said the application is mostly bucking and not limbing, so may not be an issue.

There is also the peripheral vision issue: being aware of the tip in space even when it is not in direct view. The same ability that allows one to touch their nose with eyes closed. People have more or less ability at that. Big difference from 16 to 20 inch or more. Being aware of saplings, body parts, etc.

Do you know anyone with the saw to be able to try both? Or see if the dealer has one of each in stock to try out back. Or if he has any used bars to try to compare.

I'd lean to the 16 if you don't need the reach.

16 for the 510 would be best. the 18 has its place though.

I wouldn't go smaller than 16 or larger than 18 though.

3/8 gauge BTW.

bayshorecs said:

3/8 gauge BTW.

My 510 can handle the 18" just fine in log length FWIW

mikepinto65 said:
bayshorecs said:

3/8 gauge BTW.

My 510 can handle the 18" just fine in log length FWIW

The difference between 16" and 18" is from "just fine" to "fantastic"... keep in mind that 3-1 ratio between cc's of engine and inches of bar... 3X 16" gives 48, which is a tad under on a 50cc saw, while 3X 18" is 54, which is just a little over... If you don't need the reach, the 16 will run a lot better in the cut as you will be putting the ponies into moving wood, not just dragging the chain around the bar...

I like the 20" bar on my 7900 for the reach and balance it has on that saw and at 4cc to the inch, it is a fantastic cutter, but for a 50cc saw, the 16" bar is generally going to be the better choice. I don't have a strong opinion on the chain size, but I'd probably be inclined to go for 3/8" just because it will give you more options when picking chain sizes.

Gooserider

Thanks for the opinions everyone. I ended up buying the 510 with a 16" bar and .325 chain. Haven't had a chance to do much with it yet but hope to get cutting in the next couple of weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.