Domestic options for an indoor gasification boiler?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Groo

Jul 8, 2020
MI's UP
I see the Orlan Eko and Froling as being options, but neither is domestic. I'd rather purchase made in USA, and preferably MI, WI or MN so I can drive to pick it up and see the factory.
The EPA site makes me believe all tier 2 domestics boilers are outdoor boilers.

I have looked at Garn (never pay for itself, especially with the $6k up-charge for a vertical pipe) and Seton (doesn't look to be gasification and reviews are ho-hum at best).

What other options do I have? As it stands now, the economical option looks to be just stick with propane as wood boilers won't pay for propane costs in a reasonable amount of time, and that assumes it wont be ragged out and ready to be replaced in a decade.

I see the Orlan Eko and Froling as being options, but neither is domestic. I'd rather purchase made in USA, and preferably MI, WI or MN so I can drive to pick it up and see the factory.
The EPA site makes me believe all tier 2 domestics boilers are outdoor boilers.

I have looked at Garn (never pay for itself, especially with the $6k up-charge for a vertical pipe) and Seton (doesn't look to be gasification and reviews are ho-hum at best).

What other options do I have? As it stands now, the economical option looks to be just stick with propane as wood boilers won't pay for propane costs in a reasonable amount of time, and that assumes it wont be ragged out and ready to be replaced in a decade.

Theres a Jetstream for sale on this sight, probably could be had for $1,000 .

Last edited:
I get buying a locally made product but at some point you have to look at all the options out there.

They have been using wood boilers on the other side of the pond for a long time.

Econoburn is made in NewYork
Good tough boiler,good customer support 25 year warranty on the firebox,at least that was the warranty when i bought mine 12 years ago..

Not EPA rated tho after 2020 I think?

I think the Jetstream is in Quebec which means its currently inaccessible to US citizens. I am tempted but expect to most its a bit more a science experiment that they bargained. Still a great design that I expect even current boilers would have a tough time matching.

Dad won't want to mess with a used boiler.
I think the only way for him to do used would be to move the Yukon Eagle furnace from his current house, but I'm not crazy about that solution because I thought the gas side of it was sub-par.

Reactions: hobbyheater
Dad won't want to mess with a used boiler.
I think the only way for him to do used would be to move the Yukon Eagle furnace from his current house, but I'm not crazy about that solution because I thought the gas side of it was sub-par.
The Jetstream in the classifieds is not a used boiler it may be 35 years old but it has never been installed ,and is still sitting on the pallets that it was shipped from the factory on .

The Jetstream in the classifieds is not a used boiler it may be 35 years old but it has never been installed ,and is still sitting on the pallets that it was shipped from the factory on .
I tried to start a private conversation but you seem to be blocked.

I am not that far from this unit and was not aware it was never installed. Unfortunately I am on the wrong side of the border so I cant go pick it up until the rules change. What is the approximate weight of the heaviest component?

I tried to start a private conversation but you seem to be blocked.

I am not that far from this unit and was not aware it was never installed. Unfortunately I am on the wrong side of the border so I cant go pick it up until the rules change. What is the approximate weight of the heaviest component?
According to the manual the shipping weight is1490 lbs , the steel heat exchanger is 550 lbs , the jackets and blower around 100lbs so that leaves roughly 900 lbs for the base .

move the Yukon Eagle furnace from his current house, but I'm not crazy about that solution because I thought the gas side of it was sub-par.
The wood burning side wasn't anything special either...

According to the manual the shipping weight is1490 lbs , the steel heat exchanger is 550 lbs , the jackets and blower around 100lbs so that leaves roughly 900 lbs for the base .
Thanks, its going to make the logistics a bit more difficult.

Sometimes domestic isn't the way to go. They have been at this on the other side of the pond way longer and are ahead on tech. Generally speaking. I bought mine sight unseen and have zero regrets.

5 years in - and the Garn has been good to me. Uncertain about cost up charge for a vertical model. Mine is horizontal thru the outside wall to a tee. Flue then goes vertical on outside wall thru soffit. Tee makes for easy spot to run a brush up the flu..... vertical would buy some in building space - but I purpose built Garn ban - so not an issue. Low tech still has its place!
Dan

Not EPA rated tho after 2020 I think?
I would find that hard to believe Econoburn is a solid company.
Have you contacted them?

5 years in - and the Garn has been good to me. Uncertain about cost up charge for a vertical model. Mine is horizontal thru the outside wall to a tee. Flue then goes vertical on outside wall thru soffit. Tee makes for easy spot to run a brush up the flu..... vertical would buy some in building space - but I purpose built Garn ban - so not an issue. Low tech still has its place!
Dan
I agree with Dan - The bank out behind my Garn was not a good place to discharge the hot blast from a Garn, so with a T pipe it's now a vertical. No way I'd pay 6K for that.

I would find that hard to believe Econoburn is a solid company.
Have you contacted them?
It's not on the EPA's wood heater database. The list of cordwood models is much shorter. It is a bit out of date but still there are a lot of good units that are no longer legal.

I agree with Dan - The bank out behind my Garn was not a good place to discharge the hot blast from a Garn, so with a T pipe it's now a vertical. No way I'd pay 6K for that.
The house is going to have some sort of indoor wood heat in the basement. The guy at Garn said the tees were outdoor only

Doesn’t matter what they say if they’re not on the list.
I haven't looked at any list...
I was just saying that i find it hard to believe that a solid company like Econoburn wasn't ready for any reg changes.
By solid i mean they stand behind their product,have excellent customer service.
Not like companys that you can never get anyone to help,especially when you are having problems.

The cost of testing to get to pass the 2020 regs is crazy expensive. No question it will push most smaller manufacturers out.

For dedicated indoor units you will need storage, lots of it, and expect to pay a lot for it when you are all done.

If you are OK with forced air heat, I'd recommend the Kuuma furnaces. I've put in a couple, and the are really nice, low tech and HEAVY!

The smallest Heatmaster unit will go OK in a basement, thru a walkout. the newest models have a flue bypass to exhaust the burn chamber up the chimney when you load wood. and have Lambda control to control the upper and lower air.

While UL listed for indoor installation, the downside is that they are built for outside as well, and as such, you're spending money on a nice enclosure that is weather tight when you don't actually need it.

I would guesstimate that installed, you are looking at about half the price for an air based heating system versus a hydronic one. While air based heating systems have progressed a lot, they still don't hold a candle to hydronic based for comfort and flexibility.

just .02 from a professional.

For dedicated indoor units you will need storage, lots of it, and expect to pay a lot for it when you are all done.

If you are OK with forced air heat, I'd recommend the Kuuma furnaces. I've put in a couple, and the are really nice, low tech and HEAVY!

The smallest Heatmaster unit will go OK in a basement, thru a walkout. the newest models have a flue bypass to exhaust the burn chamber up the chimney when you load wood. and have Lambda control to control the upper and lower air.

While UL listed for indoor installation, the downside is that they are built for outside as well, and as such, you're spending money on a nice enclosure that is weather tight when you don't actually need it.

I would guesstimate that installed, you are looking at about half the price for an air based heating system versus a hydronic one. While air based heating systems have progressed a lot, they still don't hold a candle to hydronic based for comfort and flexibility.

just .02 from a professional.
"Stay Out of the Weather with Indoor InstallationMost furnaces can only be installed outdoors. The G Series is also UL listed and CSA approved for installation in a garage, shop or other outbuilding "
not the basement from the looks of it.

The listings you require for an install of a solid fuel burner is dependant on your state and local codes, not the manufacturer particularly.

The HMSS units are listed to UL 2523 which is sufficient for most installations. I don't work in MI, but in WI, as long as you install per the manufacturer's instructions and listed clearances, the UL 2523 will alllow you to install indoors. In WI, you may not install a solid fuel burner in a garage. the manufacturer listing garages in the sentence you quoted above does not change that.

Don't mistake advertising for installation instructions, code compliance or vice versa.

Well, a standard I can't read without forking over a decent chunk of change is all fine and good,but I am not going to place a boiler in a location other than the manufacturer claims is a suitable location. Are you aware of company literature that says placing it in the living area of a house is fine?

Ps. The no open flames in a garage thing is about gasoline fumes.