Done through 2011-12

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PapaDave

Minister of Fire
Feb 23, 2008
Northern MI - in the mitten
I was going to wait until the snow started to thaw to do this, but I've got lots of other projects planned for the spring.
So, I finally got the wood for winter of 11-12 done, and can chill for a little bit. Need to start getting trees cut for the shed project soon. Going for the rustic look, but since I'm a little detail oriented :cheese: , this shed will probably end up nicer than the house. Ok, not really, just trying to make a point.
Since "it didn't happen w/o pics", here they are. Just finished about an hour ago.

Attachments

• IMG_3746resize.jpeg
    IMG_3746resize.jpeg
    129.3 KB · Views: 315
  • IMG_3747resize.jpeg
    IMG_3747resize.jpeg
    109 KB · Views: 319
a little detail oriented? hmmm....those are the straightest stacks I've seen and you are pretty consistent with log length to boot. nice.

What ya think thinking about size and shape for a shed?

Yes, very much detail oriented! Looks great! I just kind of toss my stacks up and hope too many of them don't tip over. Not to mention the wildly varying lengths of my splits!

maxed_out said:
a little detail oriented? hmmm....those are the straightest stacks I've seen and you are pretty consistent with log length to boot. nice.

What ya think thinking about size and shape for a shed?

Um, those are not really straight. Someone on here has theirs stacked in such a long straight line, it makes mine look shabby.
Well, along the detail line of things, I started using a tape to get even closer to 16". I added some bricks to the back of the stove this year which makes it tough to get anything bigger in there. If I ever get a newer stove, I want to be sure the splits are big enough yet not too big. Goldilocks and the 3 bears, anyone?
I can fit 22" e/w, but need smaller for n/s.
The shed needs to be big enough for about 6 cord, or maybe a little more. I think a 10x12x6 should about do it. Much smaller footprint than 16-17 separate stacks in the front yard, that have about 3' between them. It's what was needed until now.
I'm finally to the point where I'm 2 years ahead, so no need to keep the stacks apart for further drying like I have now.

Another view. The one on the right is for this coming winter. You can see (sort of) that that one is a little shorter, I think from shrinkage. Stacked last July-August.

Attachments

• IMG_3748resize.jpeg
    IMG_3748resize.jpeg
    138.6 KB · Views: 283
Go ahead Dave
Criticize your stack of wood while the rest of us drool over it.
Straighter than the 16' - 2 X 6 s I get.
Mine fell over twice so I stack crooked now so they bend & bow into each other to help hold them up ;)
Glad your ahead (or caught up). Lots of work there.
Looking forward to the woodshed pics "Coming Soon" from Northern MI
Good job!

westkywood said:
How long are those rows? Sweeeet.

It's weird how the pic came out. Makes it look like the end posts aren't inline....they are.
Anyway, 6 - 16' sections, makes each row 96'. Give or take a couple inches. ;-P

I REALLY dislike having to redo things, so I tend to try getting it right the first time. Doesn't always work of course, but so far (knock wood), nothing's fallen over. Last years stack had a pretty good lean to it though.

Nice work Dave. Now next year you need to do the same thing....except don't cheat with the posts at the end of the stack. lol

That has to give you a good feeling knowing you are all set for a couple of years. Congratulations, you have just entered the senior class of Woodburning.

bogydave said:
Go ahead Dave
Criticize your stack of wood while the rest of us drool over it.
Straighter than the 16' - 2 X 6 s I get.
Mine fell over twice so I stack crooked now so they bend & bow into each other to help hold them up ;)
Glad your ahead (or caught up). Lots of work there.
Looking forward to the woodshed pics "Coming Soon" from Northern MI
Good job!

Dave, that's funny.
I started doing that too. I stack slightly falling away from the south face so that when the wood starts shrinking to the southern exposure, it ends up standing up straight.
I tend to take a lot of pics while I'm doing stuff, just don't always post 'em. The shed project will start with the "cutting of the trees", then we'll move along to the rest of it as things progress.
I can't wait to get that going. So, I probably won't.
Don't think I've EVER seen a straight 2x anything.

Backwoods Savage said:
Nice work Dave. Now next year you need to do the same thing....except don't cheat with the posts at the end of the stack. lol

That has to give you a good feeling knowing you are all set for a couple of years. Congratulations, you have just entered the senior class of Woodburning.

Dennis, you have no idea............oh yeah, I guess you do. What a relief. Been working at this for the past 4 years. Nothing new for you.
The stack on the right is coming up front into the shed, then I'll backfill that space with new. I need to move the posts to the right a couple feet first. I might add another 16 ft. section which will get me just under 6 cord/yr for each row.
I went out a week or so ago to work on this when we had a pretty good cold snap. Bev told me I was crazy, that we had PLENTY of wood. Uh, no.
My response is usually something like "would you rather spend $60/month for this and be nice and comfortable, or pay $300/month (or more) to the co-op for the gas bill"?
I obviously end up outside. C/S/S. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.