"Don't Look Up"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ABMax24

Minister of Fire
Sep 18, 2019
Grande Prairie, Alberta, Canada
Seems to be of a bit of a polarizing movie, it's on Netflix.

Just wondering if anyone else sees any similarities to our current situation?

Reactions: NorMi
My understanding is it was meant to be a parody or allegory about our current situation. Gave me Mike Judge vibes, but with a different focus. 👍

Reactions: bholler and ABMax24
Looks like one I need to watch.

I heard an interview the other day on NPR with someone involved in the making. I didn’t catch whether it was the writer or director or producer or whoever. His statement was that it was a barely disguised allegory for climate change. I remember getting a chuckle out of his analogy that it was “a Clark Kent level of disguise.”

We don’t use Netflix, so I won’t be seeing it.

It's a bitter satire on how poorly Americans deal with existential crises. There are many of them facing us that we nibble at the edges of instead of facing them with a straight-on national effort. Climate change, species extinction, and the pandemic are the current issues that we are almost out of time to slow down. It's already too late to reverse them. The movie reminded me of Dr. Strangelove in many ways, though Don't Look Up has a greater focus on the public and social media than that picture did.

Saw it enjoyed it
Just shows how we all have become
Ostriches with our heads in the sand

We don’t use Netflix, so I won’t be seeing it.
This film is publicly available. It gets to the heart of the matter.

Last edited:
Just saw it last night. Thought it was brilliant satire. I don't like many films. It wasn't by any means perfect. But the parody aspects were spot on. Also increased my appreciation for Leonardo DiCaprio. I used to do some acting. Just amateur stuff but enough to appreciate the art of it and how difficult it can be to bring a character to life. Until now, I've never thought him that great an actor. But he did a fine job with this part. Again, not perfect. Some of the intense scenes seemed more external than internal. But overall, a really good job.

But don't watch it for that. In fact, if you do watch it for that, you become one of the people the film is lampooning. A lot of times cultural shifts emerge from art. As an example, "South Pacific" was not a great play but it was an important one. Shifted a lot of attitudes on race. "Fiddler on the Roof" showed the world how Jews are just like everyone else. "Angels in America" pulled back the veil on the cruelty of our handling of the AIDS crisis. Countless recent works of art have shifted attitudes on LGBT issues.

All of those were important issues but none of them come close to global warming, mass extinction or the existential threats to our democracy. I hope a lot of people will watch this but I'm not optimistic about our future. It doesn't seem we're capable of facing really challenging issues anymore.

I had a hard time watching it.
It hit way too close to home on many of the issues that I care deeply about.
Unfortunately, I suspect the deeper meaning behind the satire will be lost on those that most need to recognize and respect it.

I agree that it's similar to Dr. Strangelove in many respects although I actually found that movie funny.
The Netflix 'Chernobyl' series came to mind also as I watched 'Don't Look Up', particularly the line "What is the cost of lies?".

Last edited:
I heard about the flick but have not seen it just yet but I have the bottom line and its more "fear and ignoring issues" that are real---I think--not sure never seen it...clancey

Unfortunately, I suspect the deeper meaning behind the satire will be lost on those that most need to recognize and respect it.

^^^This. To some its a movie on climate change, political corruption, media/social media brainwashing, profits over people. To others its a movie about a meteorite striking earth.

Saw it last night. Pretty fun and sometimes farcical. Touched on a lot the problems that ail us. I especially appreciated the point that is amongst our biggest issue, that is, we used to argue about what the facts meant, now we argue about the facts. Click bait media coverage, con men peddling misinformation for $$ and opinion masquerading as fact, how are we supposed to do anything that needs doing?

Reactions: bholler
At times it was hard to watch. The movie is a sad reflection on current times. Well crafted conspiracy theories intentioally erode public trust. When con men (and women) are willing sow disinformation and throw the country under the bus for political or financial gain, there is not a lot of hope in our dealing with big problems. The flaw of the movie is that the rest of the world would stand idly by without real action. I don't want to spoil the film for those that haven't seen it, but the 5 second, token Russia/India effort was a bit of an insult to humanity.

For a counterpoint I recommend reading Seven Eves by Neal Stephenson. I'm suspect this book was influential in the making of this movie, but it presents an entirely different and more realistic scenario and thought provoking outcome.

Reactions: semipro
For a counterpoint I recommend reading Seven Eves by Neal Stephenson. I'm suspect this book was influential in the making of this movie, but it presents an entirely different and more realistic scenario and thought provoking outcome.
IDK if I can take a realistic treatment of the topic, I'm having trouble staying optimistic as it is! ;)

IDK if I can take a realistic treatment of the topic, I'm having trouble staying optimistic as it is! ;)
It's a well-written epic and more hopeful than some scenarios like Don't Look Up.

At times it was hard to watch. The movie is a sad reflection on current times. Well crafted conspiracy theories intentioally erode public trust. When con men (and women) are willing sow disinformation and throw the country under the bus for political or financial gain, there is not a lot of hope in our dealing with big problems. The flaw of the movie is that the rest of the world would stand idly by without real action. I don't want to spoil the film for those that haven't seen it, but the 5 second, token Russia/India effort was a bit of an insult to humanity.

Would be nice to imagine the rest of the world coming through. Hard to say if that would really happen. The U.S. has been such an anchor for the west and, really, the whole world since WWII. If Democracy dies here, will it last elsewhere. If we continue to behave as if global warming and mass extinction weren't an issue, will (and can) the rest of the world make up the deficit?

Europe is almost 3 decades ahead of us in terms of implementing sustainability policies and lowering consumption, but they're not perfect and they can't cover for our gluttony. The US consumes more of the planet's resources than any other country, by a substantial margin. There is a major planetary cost to being a society based on consumerism. we have to do a lot better, but that seems unlikely given our addiction to the fossil fuel industry economy.

Last edited:
Reactions: semipro and bholler
My understanding is it was meant to be a parody or allegory about our current situation. Gave me Mike Judge vibes, but with a different focus. 👍
I found it to be hilarious and accurate.

It's a bitter satire on how poorly Americans deal with existential crises. There are many of them facing us that we nibble at the edges of instead of facing them with a straight-on national effort. Climate change, species extinction, and the pandemic are the current issues that we are almost out of time to slow down. It's already too late to reverse them. The movie reminded me of Dr. Strangelove in many ways, though Don't Look Up has a greater focus on the public and social media than that picture did.
Dr. Strangelove is a good one. I watched it with my parents as a kid and I'm not 100% sure they caught the satire!

The same Leo DiCaprio who is still traveling in his private jet all over the world as he decries climate change. What a hoot!

The same Leo DiCaprio who is still traveling in his private jet all over the world as he decries climate change. What a hoot!

Uh, he's just an actor... He does not represent everybody who cares about the environment. Are all rural people toothless cousin lovers?

Reactions: bholler
Europe is almost 3 decades ahead of us in terms of implementing sustainability policies and lowering consumption, but they're not perfect and they can't cover for our gluttony. The US consumes more of the planet's resources than any other country, by a substantial margin. There is a major planetary cost to being a society based on consumerism. we have to do a lot better, but that seems unlikely given our addiction to the fossil fuel industry economy.

Right we are pigs. But so is everyone else.
Not even close to #1. Add Russia and the rest of Europe together and we’re real close.

Right we are pigs. But so is everyone else.
Not even close to #1. Add Russia and the rest of Europe together and we’re real close.

When you account for population numbers, China is way less than the US. Their population is 1.4 billion, compared to the US 330 million. It's a huge difference, the Chinese population is over four times our size, but not four times the emissions.

Also, most of the goods bought in Europe and the US are made in China, disproportionately increasing their emissions. Move the production back to the US and Europe and see what the numbers look like.

Status
Not open for further replies.