Door adjustment

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

TrippRick

Mar 22, 2022
Central Mass / Poland ME
Cat Insert door...1 year old.

Dollar bill test... Latch Ieft side. Can pull out the bill with a little force. I removed 1 of 4 washers from the latch assembly. All 4 washers are thje same thickness. Now it's super tight, no way to remove the bill. But...you really have to crank on the handle to get it to the "fully down" position, then it's a fair amount of force to re-open.

So, the door is actually fully closed before the handle is in the "fully down" position. I'm assuming this is ok?

General question: Is it better to leave as is after the washer was removed or put the washer back?

The reason I played with it at all is I get a fair amount of residue on the latch side. However, I also get similar residue on the hinge side, which passed the bill test even before removing a washer.

I think that "pulling the bill out with a little force" is tight enough.
The residue could be because dialing the stove down creates creosote in the firebox (to be cleaned up by the cat before it hits the chimney), and if the airwash is not strong enough (because dial down), it'll start collecting at locations on the window. In my case on the sides of the window, exactly as you say.

So my initial response would be to put that washer back, because I see nothing wrong with the dollar bill test, and the residue is normal (at least for my stove, when running low).

Pics for the residue?
What stove?

I think that "pulling the bill out with a little force" is tight enough.
The residue could be because dialing the stove down creates creosote in the firebox (to be cleaned up by the cat before it hits the chimney), and if the airwash is not strong enough (because dial down), it'll start collecting at locations on the window. In my case on the sides of the window, exactly as you say.

So my initial response would be to put that washer back, because I see nothing wrong with the dollar bill test, and the residue is normal (at least for my stove, when running low).

Pics for the residue?
What stove?
Regency I2500
Didn't take any pics last year. Can do when the weather cools...thanks!

Reactions: stoveliker
Don't forget the latch might become tighter when the stove is hot and in use, that might affect your situation. If it is really tight now cold you might really have a tough time closing it down when it swells up from the heat.

Reactions: begreen
Don't forget the latch might become tighter when the stove is hot and in use, that might affect your situation. If it is really tight now cold you might really have a tough time closing it down when it swells up from the heat.
Really good info guys...thanks!

Found a thinner washer which I just added (keeping 1 of the originals out). Can fully close and re-open pretty easily...almost like when the 4 original washers were there. A little tougher to pull out the bill now so I see that as a good sign. I'll keep an eye on any swelling when I start the season...Thanks for the tip!

BTW....with inflation I used a $5!!