Door Gasket replacement GM 40/60/80

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

cabinwarmer

Burning Hunk
Sep 11, 2020
SE PA
Good Day,
Has anyone replaced their door gasket on their GM 40/60/80? I am in need of doing my GM 60. Was hoping to not take the door off the stove? Access is easy and was thinking I would avoid any issues with door re-alignment, stripped screws, etc. I have Rutland RTV 600F arriving tomorrow and I already have the 1/2 gasket. Hearthstone tech bulletins show door removal (because they also incorporate door glass gasket(s) replacement). Any guidance, comments or hints welcome. I will be utilizing some wax paper to keep from excess contacting the stove itself.

Thanks, Dave

I always take the door off, usually it's not a problem but I'm not familiar with your stove. On the two stoves I've had one just lifted off and the one I have know is just two pins.

Looks like two screws per hinge need to be removed from the hinge/stove side. The door does slide up and down on the pins but not enough to remove it completely.

I tried that once, not as easy as I thought to do with door on, had a glue mess on the hearth. Find it far easier with door off.

here is what I have going on.... you can see the doors slides up just a bit but not enough to take off without removing two screws

IMG_1970.jpg IMG_1971.jpg

Yes, hearthstone has you pulling the hinges off. It is part of their procedure for replacing the glass gasket as well as the door gasket. They reading don't say much.

Personally I interpret that as the stove being originally designed to remove the door, it looks like Allen screws or Torx screws, easy enough to remove and set back in.

Yes, leaning that way. Seems they will align back in place with not too much of an issue. Just have to watch the threads. A helper will be nice.
Thanks, Dave

Good Day, which one would you recommend I use? The Imperial brand was included in the OEM gasket kit. This is for the 1/2 door gasket.

IMG_1979.jpg