Door gasket

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dustin

Minister of Fire
Sep 3, 2008
Western Oregon
I pulled the old, nasty rope out of the door today, and went and got some new stuff...

Problem now is the new stuff is TIGHT. I really have to work to get the door to latch. It closes, but the latch is really tight.

Will it loosen up over time? Is a really tight fit good? Or should I get the next smaller size down....

Prior to the new stuff, the door handle closed without any work at all..almost seemed too loose. With this new stuff i'm looking at the door and notice that it's flush with the face of the stove on the hinge side, and not flush where it latches.

The longer I let it sit closed..the better it gets. I think.

Any input helps :)

Thanks!

The gasket will compress to a certain degree over time. What stove is this? Some have adjustable door latches to handle new gaskets.

It's an older OSBURN...not sure of the model number. When I pulled it out to install the liner I forgot to look...Glass door insert

I have had the door latched for about an hour...Again it's hard to get closed, I have to use some force...

Will lighting a small fire in the stove help compress the gasket?

I don't think a fire will make much difference. Look for an adjustment setscrew on the latch.

Fired it up, seems to be working good still. Closed the door, with effort, and held a match next to the door in all four sides, didn't get any pull in the flame. Shut the air down all the way with a big fire, did the same, still no pull on the flame....i'm assuming that means I have a decent seal?

still kind of freaks me out to have the gab in the hinge side of the door, smaller then the latch size....am i over thinking this?

Not to ask a stupid question but are you sure that the gasket you installed is of the same type and size that came off it?. I've replaced my gaskets many times and while they do tighten up the latching of the door it's nothing where the latch has to be adjusted.

We just did the same thing and are having the same result. It will eventually slightly compress but they're made to stand up to years of use.

If the door on your stove has a threaded knob you might be able to back it off slightly and allow the mechanism a bit of room. If not, you might want to consider installing a washer in the lock, before the nut. That way you'll add just a small bit of room but be able to torque it down. Make sense?

Regards!

Status
Not open for further replies.