Door Gasket

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Czech

Minister of Fire
Jan 20, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Now that we've got our own room, I thought I'd post this question again as it was never really answered in the Hearth Room. Maybe Shane can move the old thread here as I didn't seem to be able to find it? I have a free standing Quad Castille, I replaced the door gasket last year with the Quad gasket, it needs replacing again. The guys at the local shop didn't seem too surprised, they seem to think this is a yearly maint thing. That said, the Quad gasket is held to the door by bars that thread thru the edge of the gasket and it is spendy (40+ bucks). Can I just buy the regular wood stove gasket material of the same diameter (8 bucks for the kit) and stick it via the included glue or high temp rtv to the edge of the glass around the door? I guess I don't see a problem with this, just wondering if sticking it to the glass will pose a problem when it needs replacing again. Thanks all.

Doesn't the castile have a tadpole gasket? Also where is it falling apart that you need to replace it again? When you clean the glass are you rubbing on the gasket?

Jtp, not sure on the name of tadpole, it basically has a sleeve that rods go thru to hold it in, is this a tadpole? Not sure why it is failing, the area around the door handle seems to go first. I've sanded the mating surfaces, so I'm not sure why. I'm messing with the stove a lot, in and out, nuts about maint. May be due to me?

Wht year castile is this? The current one the rods do not go through the gasket. It has a tadpole gasket that goes around the sides and top, bottom is open.

This is what a tadpole gasket is, http://gasketsinc.thomasnet.com/ite...als/flexseal-tadpole/gt08l?&seo=1&plpver=1001
The one for the castile is graphite and has adhesive on the tadpole part and I think it sticks to the glass. It seals the glass to the door and also the door to the unit at the same time if I am remembering correctly. The kit from Quad also comes with some hi-temp 3M tape for the ends so it wont unravel.

The door latch should not really be interfearing with the door gasket at all from what I remeber?

Status
Not open for further replies.