Door latch lube

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
The lock on my T5 didn't want to pull the door shut this morning when I lit a quick fire.

I dont think I'd be able to get the powdered graphite into the latch mechanism. Is there anything that could creep into the tight spaces then cook off on next light up leaving something slippery?

The latch mechanism is all exposed. Is the door handle stiff even with the door open? Or was the latch lever not fitting in the latch receiver on the stove body?

20191007_211107.jpg

At Home Depot no less! I'll pick some up!

I was able to work it a bit looser this past weekend, but it still is tight. Hopefully this will solve the problem.

Look for lock lubricant. It should be graphite powder in tube form. Our local hardware store carries this.
Screen Shot 2019-10-09 at 12.49.01 PM.png
Could you answer the questions I asked earlier? There may be a different issue happening here.

The latch mechanism is all exposed. Is the door handle stiff even with the door open? Or was the latch lever not fitting in the latch receiver on the stove body?
Sorry, I thought I'd answered this. It is stiff and does not want to move while the door is open. I dont remember it being hard to close a few years ago. I think it used to close easily.

I really worked it last weekend and it moved easier afterwords. Still not as easy as it should be though.

Sorry, I thought I'd answered this. It is stiff and does not want to move while the door is open. I dont remember it being hard to close a few years ago. I think it used to close easily.

I really worked it last weekend and it moved easier afterwords. Still not as easy as it should be though.
So it is not the latch that is stiff, it's the latch handle pivot in the door itself, right? Ours has always been on the little bit sloppy side.

For next time. If this is the area that is tight then the shaft that goes through the door may have rusted up a bit. If yours is designed like ours, there is a pin through the shaft retaining collar on the inside of the door that can be pulled out. That should allow you to clean up the shaft that passes through the door with emery paper. Put some graphite on the shaft before putting the pin back in.

Right, it was the rod going through the door. I saw the pin, but questioned whether I wanted to try and drive it out. It looks like there are 2 washers behind it. Probably 1 to keep tension and the other to protect the door. I didnt think regular powdered graphite would work it's way in. I figured I'd need a bit of oil to creep into the cracks. Powdered graphite in a spray can provided the best of both worlds!

Side note, I lubed what I thought were springs tensioning some Pella windows. Well they weren't springs. That window now slips up and down like it was set in bacon grease. To the point it won't stay open! Whatever the tensioning device is, it runs on friction. Lesson learned. Good thing that window is only used for a window AC in summer. I'm glad I didnt hit the rest of the windows!