Door seal on Qudra-Fire 5700 step top

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tehans

Mar 4, 2013
So I just replaced the door gasket on this stove and the upper right corner is not getting a tight seal (that would be the corner above the handle that opens the door. It is just slightly leaking and I can barely see flames looking through the gasket, and doesn't pass the dollar bill test. I put a square piece of metal across the front face of the stove and I do not think it is warped. Any advice? is it possible to increase the closing tension or something like that?

If the stove face and the stove door are flat like they should be, then the issue is with the gasket. When the gasket was put in, was it stretched in that location? That can thin the gasket and create a poor seal. Was an OEM gasket used or generic?

Reactions: Highbeam
If the gasket was not over stretched you could try putting a layer of gasket tape under the the gasket install. After cleaning out the present gasket, cement the tape then cement the regular gasket. That worked for me on my Waterford cookstove. The door latch had no more adjustment and the fit wasn’t tight. I used the 1/2” wide flat tape then the 3/8” gasket. Found this method in a Waterford Stanley manual excerpt on Obedias or similar site. Just did this a few days ago. The door pulls in real tight and it seems to make a difference , even had a small coals this AM but then it had warmed and rainy low came in overnight. I’d never seen or heard of the tape before but found it a local hardware store