Double wall pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill

Minister of Fire
Mar 2, 2007
South Western Wisconsin
I have (good draft) 8 feet of steel black pipe and I gain some extra heat inside the room. But are you sacrificing your draft? Would it make sense to replace with double wall black stainless interior pipe? Would it improve your stoves efficiency? Would there be a heat loss by losing more heat up the chimney? Can I assume dw pipe is safer?

If you have good draft I wouldn't change it. It is nice to get that extra heat off single wall pipe. Although double wall is safer and and keeps the flue gasses warmer, which increases your draft.

If its working well, its probably not worth messing with it.

In situations with marginal draft or long runs of single wall pipe, the switch to double wall might be worth it.

You said you have a nice strong draft and as happy with the performance, so I wouldn't even bother. I usually only consider the double wall when there's a clearance issue. Other's may disagree, but that's my take.

Somebody riddle me this.

We insist that stoves, chimney liners, hearth pads, clear on up to the top cap be top of the line stuff and tested and rated. Yet we think nothing about having pieces of snap together thin tin from any old hardware store, unrated and of unknown origin, sitting right there in the room between the stove and the flue connection? In some cases, 10 to 15 feet of it.

It has always fascinated me. Of course, I know, I am easily fascinated.

BrotherBart said:
Somebody riddle me this.

We insist that stoves, chimney liners, hearth pads, clear on up to the top cap be top of the line stuff and tested and rated. Yet we think nothing about having pieces of snap together thin tin from any old hardware store, unrated and of unknown origin, sitting right there in the room between the stove and the flue connection? In some cases, 10 to 15 feet of it.

It has always fascinated me. Of course, I know, I am easily fascinated.

I agree...when ya see it laying on the shelf in the hardware store, it does seem a little unnerving.

Not to hijack this thread, but what is the average temp of the flu gases going up the chimney? I cleaned mine today and wondered how hot it gets up near the top of my 24' SS liner (inside an exterior masonry chimney) while my insert was burning. I guess it's hotter closer to the insert?

Status
Not open for further replies.