Draft and liner size

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

John B

Sep 26, 2012
Hi All,

Have a question regarding liner size as I look to replace a stove I have currently.

Short story is that I have a Kuma Seqouia insert that simply cannot deal with the draft of my current chimney (27' with 8" insulated liner). Have tried many solutions including blocking off the inlet, adding a damper, installing a tigther grate in front of the cat. but its just not a great runner. Cat light off is inconsistent, and seems to blow through wood quickly. I'm also tired of hearing the blower all the time.

On the flip side, we have a Woodstock Absolute Steele on the other side of the house that runs beautifully. Has a 27' chimney (which does have 2 90 degree bends) which goes into an 8" terracotta lined chimney and has a damper but is never used.

To install the Kuma, I put in an 8" liner. I would like to replace the Kuma with a Woodstock Ideal Steele. I would like to avoid removing the liner. I was curious if replacing with a 6" liner would reduce draft significantly. I spoke to the tech line at Woodstock and they felt that draft might actually speed up with the 6". Wondering what the people here think on this issue?

Soooo? Try it. Perhaps? RR the 8 if it won't work.

To bad about the Seqouia. Don't recall hearing much about those issues on that model. Bet you sell it easy!

What is the normal burn time on your AS? Curious. Good luck with the IS.

I can easily get 12 hours or more out of the AS with no input once it start cruising. The soapstone liner really holds heat and it is very good at getting the most out of a load.

Reactions: moresnow
Hmm, do a test, take that cap off the chimney and block some of the outlet with foil tape.

If it has Woodstock's blessing, try the 8" liner first and see how the IS performs with the current setup (leave the damper in).

If it has Woodstock's blessing, try the 8" liner first and see how the IS performs with the current setup (leave the damper in).
Yeah, think I will do that. Was really just curious on opinions of whether or not it would make a huge difference.