Draft install concerns

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
More likely it is to slow down draft a bit to keep the firebox hotter for a cleaner burn to meet EPA requirements. Maybe contact [email protected] with Morso specific technical questions?
*throws hands up in exasperation* I feel like such a newbie it's not even funny :) At least even though my hubby grew up woodburning in a fireplace, thanks to these forums I do actually know more about burning in a stove now than he does :p...maybe

Does a spark arrester really work? Sparks on the rubber roof or asphalt roof would obviously be a real concern :)
Yes but they also clog quickly. If you are not required to use a spark arresstor you dont want one. Animal screen should be fine if you burn dry wood and burn correctly.

Never mind i dont know why i bother trying to teach you anything.

Don't ask me. I don't know either... especially when trying so hard only brings you more frustration.

Our two different views can each be attributed to each of us living by a completely different approach from the other. My own direct first person real world experience is my teacher, and it frequently takes me offroad to explore less trampled places. That's how I discover and learn...

...from outside the box.

Greg

Last edited:
Don't ask me. I don't know either... especially when trying so hard only brings more frustration.

Our two different views can each be attrributed to each of us living by a completely different approach from the other. My own direct first person real world experience is my teacher, and it frequently takes me offroad to explore less trampled places. That's how I discover and learn...

...from outside the box.

Greg
But your "real world experience" is just your experince with your personal stove. Mine is from working on hundreds of stoves and chimneys every year. And yes i have had schooling but most of what i have learned is through my experience. And being that my father has been in the industry my entire life i have allot of experince in this industry. I grew up in and around it. I dont know what makes you think i havnt learned from my experinces but you are very wrong. The difference is i am perfectly willing to admit that there are people who know allot more than me on allot of subjects.

Last edited by a moderator:
But your "real world experience" is just your experince with your personal stove. Mine is from working on hundreds of stoves and chimneys every year. And yes i have had schooling but most of what i have learned is through my experience. And being that my father has been in the industry my entire life i have allot of experince in this industry. I grew up in and around it. I dont know what makes you think i havnt learned from my experinces but you are very wrong. The difference is i am perfectly willing to admit that there are people who know allot more than me on allot of subjects.
I'm happy to have both our your experience :)

Can you tell me...does my neighbor's house behind us, being quite close and also being much higher due to a hill (with trees as well)...stand to cause more draft issues? to the west and east it's fairly open but our house to the south and their house maybe ten yards to the north will both be higher than the stovepipe.

room key.jpg

Reactions: bholler
I'm happy to have both our your experience :)

Can you tell me...does my neighbor's house behind us, being quite close and also being much higher due to a hill (with trees as well)...stand to cause more draft issues? to the west and east it's fairly open but our house to the south and their house maybe ten yards to the north will both be higher than the stovepipe.
It is certainly possible. But it is very uncommon.

It is certainly possible. But it is very uncommon.
Thanks, that's good to know, I definitely was wondering about that.

So if their house is far enough away not to cause problems, if I can get the pipe 11.5 feet from the main 1 1/2 story part of the house is that possibly far enough away too? Though I know 11' and ten yards is not the same ;).

This is getting ridiculous...reading http://www.woodheat.org/locating-chimney.html the "locate your hearth in the heart of the home" section is making me think this is all a big waste of time. If we can't get the stove put in the main house and the addition is the only reasonable option we have right now and that is apparently such a bad idea, perhaps this is a hopeless case. We've been trying to do this for years now, it is just so frustrating.

It sounds like I can top-vent, double-wall, straight chimney up 13' and still would have issues because it is 'lower than the highest living space'. :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Okay, would the DuraPlus triple wall chimney help me out here? If I have to go 8-12' above the roof would this help keep the pipe from cooling down?

This is getting ridiculous...reading http://www.woodheat.org/locating-chimney.html the "locate your hearth in the heart of the home" section is making me think this is all a big waste of time. If we can't get the stove put in the main house and the addition is the only reasonable option we have right now and that is apparently such a bad idea, perhaps this is a hopeless case. We've been trying to do this for years now, it is just so frustrating.

It sounds like I can top-vent, double-wall, straight chimney up 13' and still would have issues because it is 'lower than the highest living space'. :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

If you were to locate your stove in the #2 location next to the stairwell and simply run the flue straight up and out the roof like this...

R9o4F0B.jpg

...what does it go through on the second floor?

Greg

Okay, would the DuraPlus triple wall chimney help me out here? If I have to go 8-12' above the roof would this help keep the pipe from cooling down?
No triple wall will be worse than the regular insulated double wall it has half the insulation

Been suggesting location #2 all along with a larger stove. Yes, it will cost a bit more, but amortized over the 30yr life span of the installation, and the ability to actually heat the house, the cost per month is trivial.

Been suggesting location #2 all along with a larger stove. Yes, it will cost a bit more, but amortized over the 30yr life span of the installation, and the ability to actually heat the house, the cost per month is trivial.

I agree. In the long run it's cost effective. The sunroom is a no-win situation.The only reasons we're able to heat with just a Squirrel and some sticks is a tiny heavily insulated house located in a mild climate.

Greg

If you were to locate your stove in the #2 location next to the stairwell and simply run the flue straight up and out the roof like this...

View attachment 199034

...what does it go through on the second floor?

Greg
I know I know, #2 is just ideal for draw/heating etc. the problem (aside from the cost) is it almost doesn't matter what stove we could possibly choose, that room is so small and already so narrow that putting a stove in #2 will render it absurdly narrow, basically a glorified hallway. I have built so many cardboard "fireplaces" with hearths etc. as accurately to scale as I could and put our electric stove in there in different places, it doesn't matter how small it is or how close the clearances are (even the 1440) with the hearth having to go out 16" and the depth of a stove and the back clearance, it just comes into the room so much. Trust me if you could see that room you would see what I mean, it would be rendered almost useless. Plus we are dancers and use that room as our floor occasionally. That is why we tried to see if it could go in #1 or #3 but both are suffering from so many logistical issues.

I know ...Trust me, there's a reason I have been fighting with this issue for years now ;) This house is insanely tricky to place a stove. I just don't think #2 is a viable option...we've tried and tried and tried but it would need to take less than two feet of depth probably to be reasonable and the hearth alone would take 16". The cost is just last sealer of the deal.

We've made our peace with it not actually heating much of the house, the sunroom is the super-cold room anyway and just taking the chill off to hang out there together is satisfactory to us...assuming we can get the draw correct. The look will also be far more appropriate in that room and we do not think it would harm resale like it likely would in #2.

I know I know, #2 is just ideal for draw/heating etc. the problem (aside from the cost) is it almost doesn't matter what stove we could possibly choose, that room is so small and already so narrow that putting a stove in #2 will render it absurdly narrow, basically a glorified hallway. I have built so many cardboard "fireplaces" with hearths etc. as accurately to scale as I could and put our electric stove in there in different places, it doesn't matter how small it is or how close the clearances are (even the 1440) with the hearth having to go out 16" and the depth of a stove and the back clearance, it just comes into the room so much. Trust me if you could see that room you would see what I mean, it would be rendered almost useless. Plus we are dancers and use that room as our floor occasionally. That is why we tried to see if it could go in #1 or #3 but both are suffering from so many logistical issues.

How narrow is the room?
Just as an experiment, cut out a piece of cardboard 15" x 15", and put it on the floor in location #2 so that the rear of the square is 26 inches away from the wall. That's where a Squirrel would be with proper flue clearance for rear venting. The front of the square would be 41 inches away from the wall. What is the distance from the front of the cardboard to the opposite wall?

Our living room is 11' 9" across. Minus the Squirrel, that leaves us about 8 feet, which is just fine for our small couch and walk-around room. We're used to small spaces. ;)

Greg

Last edited:
How narrow is the room?
Just as an experiment, cut out a piece of cardboard 15" x 15", and put it on the floor in location #2 so that the rear of the square is 26 inches away from the wall. That's where a Squirrel would be with proper flue clearance for rear venting. The front of the square would be 41 inches away from the wall. What is the distance from the front of the cardboard to the opposite wall?

Our living room is 11' 9" across. Minus the Squirrel, that leaves us about 8 feet, which is just fine for our small couch and walk-around room. We're used to small spaces. ;)

Greg
Haha, yeah if I did that, including the hearth it would be nearly in the middle of the room! That room is probably around 12' wide so about 5' of stove/hearth would leave the room almost useless. It is a passthrough as well to both sides of the house, so if you tried to put some furniture in there you'd have almost nothing left. It's just not do-able, besides it would likely badly affect our resale value should we ever sell. :/

I agree. In the long run it's cost effective. The sunroom is a no-win situation.The only reasons we're able to heat with just a Squirrel and some sticks is a tiny heavily insulated house located in a mild climate.

Greg
Is it a no-win because it will not heat much of the house? We're ok with that, since part of its purpose is for emergencies, it may be to our benefit that the room to be heated is smaller than the whole house in case of power outage. Enjoyment is the other main purpose, we are not in a position to easily store enough wood for whole-house heating in the city.

Haha, yeah if I did that, including the hearth it would be nearly in the middle of the room! That room is probably around 12' wide so about 5' of stove/hearth would leave the room almost useless. It is a passthrough as well to both sides of the house, so if you tried to put some furniture in there you'd have almost nothing left. It's just not do-able, besides it would likely badly affect our resale value should we ever sell. :/

Well, that's a matter of what you're used to... ;)
Our living room is less than 12 feet wide and the little Squirrel fits in just fine, even with rear venting that puts it out farther into the room.

nrqijKT.jpg

We live in a tiny minimalist house and don't feel the least bit cramped. :)

Greg

Last edited:
Well, that's a matter of what you're used to... ;)
Our living room is less than 12 feet wide and the little Squirrel fits in just fine, even with rear venting that puts it out farther into the room.

View attachment 199127

We live in a tiny minimalist house and don't feel the least bit cramped. :)

Greg

I really like your layout and your rug! It looks totally great in your space :), I think part of that though is due to your tile floor. Our floor is wood and we would have to have a raised hearth, if you raised a hearth 16" in front of your stove there would be nowhere to walk without stepping up on the hearth!

I really like your layout and your rug! It looks totally great in your space :), I think part of that though is due to your tile floor. Our floor is wood and we would have to have a raised hearth, if you raised a hearth 16" in front of your stove there would be nowhere to walk without stepping up on the hearth!

Thanks, I tiled nearly all of our house except a small patch of carpeting in the bedroom. We needed tile because we're always tracking in dirt from working in the yard. Porcelain tile can't get scratched, water can't wreck it, it's super easy to keep clean, and it never gets crappy looking.

Cut out your wood flooring where you want the hearth, and inlay tiles at the same height so there's nothing to trip over. No one says a hearth has to be raised. This is the border of carpeting and tile in our bedroom closet. It's not wood to tile, but you can get the idea.

BWY4Sfl.jpg

There's no difference in elevation and transition is almost seamless.

Greg