Draft question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

slucru2

Jan 5, 2019
, Illinois
In our hunting cabin, we have an Englander wood stove with 6 feet of 6 inch pipe going to an adapter with about 15 feet of 8 inch triple wall stainless steel wall going straight up through the roof. The question is if the 6 going to 8 will slow the draft down to cause creosote build up? It seems to work better if we leave the flue damper wide open>

I suspect it would reduce the draft . . . although creosote production would be more likely to occur due to unseasoned wood vs. a poor draft.

P.S. You'll get more responses by posting this question in the hearth section as this section tends to be more about questions and answers about the forum (i.e. How do I post photos? What happens if I have 2 million posts?" etc.)

That's about 28 sq inch to 50. Don't think that's allowed and could cause slowing/cooling of exhaust gases leading to excessive creosote formation.

Reactions: firefighterjake
In our hunting cabin, we have an Englander wood stove with 6 feet of 6 inch pipe going to an adapter with about 15 feet of 8 inch triple wall stainless steel wall going straight up through the roof. The question is if the 6 going to 8 will slow the draft down to cause creosote build up? It seems to work better if we leave the flue damper wide open>
It may work, are you able to turn down the air by at least 50% when the fire is burning well? Do you see good secondary combustion?

Whether this will be a creosote producing issue is a question of how hot the flue gases are and how dry the wood is that is being burned. By flue damper, do you mean a damper in the stove pipe above the stove?

If you're burning a hot fire with dry wood it should be fine. Make sure you have a stovepipe thermometer about 2' above the stove and learn to adjust your air so that you can have the thermostat settle in around 350 degrees. If it gets to hot in the room open a window or turn on a fan but don't smolder the stove! That is what will cause massive glazing inside the chimney. Dry wood and proper burning temp/technique will get you the greatest impact on keeping the buildup manageable.