Dressing the bar

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
LLigetfa said:
offroadaudio said:
Dust.

No I have to figure out how to get those loops out of the chain without it looking like I'm trying to solve a rubicks cube!
Those loops in the chain would definately reduce the cutting ability. Rather than freehand the raker depth, go buy a raker gauge and a proper raker file.

http://www.extremehowto.com/xh/article.asp?article_id=60639
1a1ChainsawTT23.jpg

I mean the loops that get in the chain when it's OFF the bar - loopy

Kenster said:
I hate flat rakers. Rough cutting edges and saw vibes alot more. Just my .2 cents worth.

When I take a file to my rakers I try to dress the leading edge just enough to maintain a round profile avoiding a flat top.

Bingo!

unknowingLEE said:
Round will give you a nice ride but it won't pull and throw yur chip worth a chit.

Oh I disagree.....Just got done milling and bucking a 36inch walnut (its awesome by the way) chips rooster tailing 460 eating like a big dog in the cross....I no most run flat and thats all good. Just my .02 cents. 460 in the cross will flat out run. You loose your boot to chips in under 30 sec's

smokinjay said:
unknowingLEE said:
Round will give you a nice ride but it won't pull and throw yur chip worth a chit.

Oh I disagree.....Just got done milling and bucking a 36inch walnut (its awesome by the way) chips rooster tailing 460 eating like a big dog in the cross....I no most run flat and thats all good. Just my .02 cents. 460 in the cross will flat out run. You loose your boot to chips in under 30 sec's
Dohnt make me drive 6 hours to come point yur rakers damit! :lol:

unknowingLEE said:

I'm not talking about a totally round raker. Just rounding the leading edge a bit vs having a flat top. I learned to do that here at this board.
The chains come from the factory slightly rounded. Why not try to keep them that way? Lee, how would you file your rakers?

unknowingLEE said:
smokinjay said:
unknowingLEE said:

Dohnt make me drive 6 hours to come point yur rakers damit! :lol:

If thats what it Takes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Flat Rakers SUCK..................................................LOL Get Your @ss out here.

Kenster said:
unknowingLEE said:

I'm not talking about a totally round raker. Just rounding the leading edge a bit vs having a flat top. I learned to do that here at this board.
The chains come from the factory slightly rounded. Why not try to keep them that way? Lee, how would you file your rakers?

Fastest chain round raker like they look brand new!

Flat rakes better. I have anti-vib handle and no nerves left in my hands.

LLigetfa said:
Flat rakes better. I have anti-vib handle and no nerves left in my hands.

lol flat raker on an 880 you would be using them arms anymore.

offroadaudio said:
Gee a lot of help you guys are - NOBODY told me to use the right SIZED file for my .325 chains!!!

Cuts like a dream now : )0

lol list file and chain size to get THAT ANSWER...You list that the pro sharpen and your chain was the same. Better question gets better answers. Just saying.

smokinjay said:
offroadaudio said:
Gee a lot of help you guys are - NOBODY told me to use the right SIZED file for my .325 chains!!!

lol list file and chain size to get THAT ANSWER...You list that the pro sharpen and your chain was the same. Better question gets better answers. Just saying.

If you guys were that good - you wouldn't need all that info!!
I'm just pulling your chain - and sharpening mine - not at the same time.

Thanks guys.

offroadaudio said:
smokinjay said:
offroadaudio said:

I'm just pulling your chain - and sharpening mine - not at the same time.

Thanks guys.

When you say both chains... yours and the pro cut chain are doing the same thing it would be impossible to think that both you and the pro are choosing the wrong file.
cutting locust there's always an issue with chains....lol You have some awesome hardwoods and growing pains are good...Milling some locust today I could be posting a thread just like this in a few hours. Hickory hard but that locust is a rock!

I split some of the locust yesterday and it was really pretty. I don't usually think of locust as a wood to make nice things out of, but this one had me thinking.
I would love to see pictures of your locust work - maybe some in-progress too?

I think the guy that I was having sharpen the chains was not working the rakers at all. These chains had been sharpened around 5 times. When I put the raker gauge (that came in my nifty new Stihl sharpening kit) on the chain, the rakers were taller than the gauge at point of measurement. So, in conclusion, I had these issues:

Pro guy not filing rakers
Me not using correct file
me not having experience
air cleaner clogged
bar needing to be dressed

with all (most) of these corrected now, I can cut at a good pace and use half the fuel that I was previously.

I'll keep an eye out for the locust thread.
Thanks again for all of the pointers.

offroadaudio said:
I split some of the locust yesterday and it was really pretty. I don't usually think of locust as a wood to make nice things out of, but this one had me thinking.
I would love to see pictures of your locust work - maybe some in-progress too?

I think the guy that I was having sharpen the chains was not working the rakers at all. These chains had been sharpened around 5 times. When I put the raker gauge (that came in my nifty new Stihl sharpening kit) on the chain, the rakers were taller than the gauge at point of measurement. So, in conclusion, I had these issues:

Pro guy not filing rakers
Me not using correct file
me not having experience
air cleaner clogged
bar needing to be dressed

with all (most) of these corrected now, I can cut at a good pace and use half the fuel that I was previously.

I'll keep an eye out for the locust thread.
Thanks again for all of the pointers.

Yea I think your dialing in for sure, but dont take it tough. These woods your cutting are no joke and its never anyone thing it is normally a lot of little things. I will post some picks later on I have hickory walnut and locust to do today! All chain reckers for sure.

offroadaudio said:
LOL

I used to use my Carnac hat but it stopped working when Johnny died.

johnny-carson-carnac.jpg

LLigetfa said:
offroadaudio said:
LOL

I used to use my Carnac hat but it stopped working when Johnny died.

johnny-carson-carnac.jpg

I loved that skit. My favorite was this one.

Answer: Kumquat

Question: How do you call your quat?

Late night TV died with Johnny, as far as I'm concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.