drive way material

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smabon

Jan 29, 2009
Lunenburg, Ma
I have a drive way that is paved at the bottom of the drive way and then goes to dirt. I am looking for suggestions on what type of material would be good to redo the dirt part of the drive way. I am looking for some type of material that will pack down very well so that I can run by snowblower over it and not tare it up. Has any one every used crushed asphalt? My budget can only afford a material that I can spread. No repaving or brick work. Thanks for your time.

I like the asphalt millings except when it gets really hot. We find that we will pick up sticky pieces and track them into the house. But by the same token, when it is hot, they pack down very well.
Brad

Graded base, some places call it star-pack. You can get it delivered from Powells in Lunenburg.

I used something they call crusher chips around here. Basically, it's whatever is smaller than 3/4 inches when they crush and screen 3/4 stone. It packs well and there is no large stones for the snow thrower to hurl.

The best thing I have found for cheap is the asphault grindings as mentioned above. I have seen those used and then rolled with a roller. It makes a hard packed surface and really locks when it gets some hot sun. Around here they are about $6-7 a ton vs. $20.50 for limestone.

Get in touch with your local water department. Mine brings runner crush/cinder when they dig out water main breaks. Price is right.

Clam (quahog) shells, $20-30/cubic yard on the Cape, beautiful white driveway.

I had a hankering for a white driveway but couldn't rationalize the cost compared to just adding some more grey crusher run to the current stuff.
While looking around I did call a guy who could get limestone crusher run in western Mass. I think crushed limestone is white too.

I did get a tri-axle dump truck load of the grey stuff and the guy was able to skillfully spread it out from the truck so that there was virtually no additional work to do.

With my snowblower set on high, or whatever, I don't pick up much gravel.
Broke no shear pins last year!

greystone is nice because it doesn't dust in the Summer when very dry.

You need to get #2 crusher run, it is the size of your thumbnail and will pack down and look great for years. I paid 13.00 bucks a ton delivered and spread out. No dust when it is dry out and it has a nice gray color and packs well. It is #2 crusher run (thumbnail size). My driveway is 1500 feet long so i now gravel....well

I put down calcium to prevent dust and to aid compaction. Rock salt works too and is cheap.

woodsman23 said:
You need to get #2 crusher run, it is the size of your thumbnail and will pack down and look great for years. I paid 13.00 bucks a ton delivered and spread out. No dust when it is dry out and it has a nice gray color and packs well. It is #2 crusher run (thumbnail size). My driveway is 1500 feet long so i now gravel....well

I 2nd this suggestion. You need the combination of medium and small particles to get it to pack well. That's what crusher run (aka crush and run) is in most places, 3/4" dia. rock and less all the way down to fines. If base soil is soft at all you may 1st need to put in larger cobbles (2-3" dia.) to create a stable base and then top with crusher run.

About the dusting, I don't notice much at all with my grey crusher run driveway.
Is it more a problem with the limestone crusher run?

Status
Not open for further replies.