Driving Slowly on the trail

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
I was going slow enough on the Rhino I was able to swerve so I could avoid hitting this turtle, I took a few pictures then moved him across the trail.

zap

Attachments

• 100_5637.JPG
    100_5637.JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 182
  • 100_5638.JPG
    100_5638.JPG
    114.6 KB · Views: 186
  • 100_5639.JPG
    100_5639.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 215
  • 100_5640.JPG
    100_5640.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 185
zap, I know you are an outdoorsman but I never realized you "broke" a rhino to ride around.....................you are the man

Reactions: Eatonpcat and zap
Off topic...But I am looking to buy a Utv,

Rhino, Ranger or Mule??

Property is flat and is old farm land, Any thoughts Zap??

Rhino, Ranger or Mule??

Polaris Razr.... Go big or Go home...... ;)

If no Razr, then a Prowler, Rhino, Ranger, Mule, Big Red, or Gator will all do...

I know 2 people with Mules (slow but work horses), 1 with a Razr (Sick!!), 1 with a Ranger (prob my favorite), and 1 with a Gator (another slow work horse). I am looking to sell my ATV's and get one also. I just sold a 2002 Honda Rancher 4x4 yesterday. Just have my 2000 Honda 400EX (bored to 440 and Many Mod's!) Left to sell now.

Looking for a wood haulin machine...

Polaris Razr.... Go big or Go home...... ;)

If no Razr, then a Prowler, Rhino, Ranger, Mule, Big Red, or Gator will all do...

I know 2 people with Mules (slow but work horses), 1 with a Razr (Sick!!), 1 with a Ranger (prob my favorite), and 1 with a Gator (another slow work horse). I am looking to sell my ATV's and get one also. I just sold a 2002 Honda Rancher 4x4 yesterday. Just have my 2000 Honda 400EX (bored to 440 and Many Mod's!) Left to sell now.

Looking for a wood haulin machine...

Thanks MD...No Razr as speed will not be an issue, this will be mainly for the wife. Too old to go big, so I'm trying to go cheap! LOL

Have my eye on a nice Ranger, but people keep telling me to stay away from Polaris as they need repaired often.

Rhino, Ranger or Mule??

For us the Rhino was a perfect fit for our trails, this is my first UTV so I can't really comment on the others. I think at the time we bought ours the Rhino had bucket seats compared to bench seats in the Ranger, the Ranger was also wider.

If we were buying again the Rhino would be my choice just because we never had any problems with it, we take it in every year for the oil change, grease and filters.

Our Rhino has been a great worker, climbs the hills we have (ask Sav or Mrs. Sav.) I'm not in it for speed or looks, just for getting the wood off the hills and some nice rides.

zap

Reactions: AJS56
While I like the look of the Razor . . . honestly it is more of a trail rider than a work machine. If looking at Polaris UTVs the Ranger would be more appropriate -- I will admit I tried out my brother in law's and it was pretty capable . . . I am however biased against Polaris ATVs as a rule having seen a lot of folks who have had issues with them over the years (not specifically the Razor, but with other ATVs in the line up.)

Truthfully . . . I still like my traditional ATV . . . but if I was to go with a side by side today and you are focusing more on work than pleasure I probably would go with something like the Rhino . . . not a big fan of Honda's butt ugly UTV even though I love Hondas. I don't particuarly care for the Mule, Gator and many of the other UTVs since they seem quite slow . . . which is fine if you never ever intend to go trail riding with it with buddies and just plan to putz around the yard or Back 40.

If I was getting something just for fun I would look at the Can Am Commander line up over the Razr . . .

Reactions: Eatonpcat
For us the Rhino was a perfect fit for our trails, this is my first UTV so I can't really comment on the others. I think at the time we bought ours the Rhino had bucket seats compared to bench seats in the Ranger, the Ranger was also wider.

If we were buying again the Rhino would be my choice just because we never had any problems with it, we take it in every year for the oil change, grease and filters.

Our Rhino has been a great worker, climbs the hills we have (ask Sav or Mrs. Sav.) I'm not in it for speed or looks, just for getting the wood off the hills and some nice rides.

zap

Thanks Zap and Jake...Have a couple of bids on Rhinos on ebay, but I think they will shoot out of my price range.

I love turtles- those pics are great.
Here's a desert tortoise I almost ran over whilst abusing a rental car just outside of Tombstone, AZ. I'm told that these are sort of rare.

2410_1031113299919_5302_n.jpg

The only utv I've got the chance to use were Gators- we had the diesels with the larger engine option. They did everything we asked them to- lots of fun.

Reactions: zap and Eatonpcat
depends on what you want it for. ranger is hard to beat as far as bed weight and towing.

A.P., nice picture. I always saw a few around the brook but the two wood turtles I saw this year were far from the brook, another good reason to not let people 4 wheel on our property.

zap

Reactions: Adios Pantalones
I have the two bench seat diesel mule. It is slow topping out a 24mph which is a pain when I run to my cousins farm 10 miles away. But I love it and its the most used piece of equ at the farm. It can easily fit five people and its quiet so I can cruse trails and we can all talk and hear with a normal voice. My cousin has a Rino and that thing is loud easily twice as loud as mine.

Billy

Reactions: AJS56 and Eatonpcat
I have a Polaris crew, holds 6 people. 2010 model. Zero problems. 800 cc motor. Run Amsoil in the engine. Built stake sides for the box, my wood hauler. It's driven daily. Be lost without it. It's nice when people stop by, there's room to take everyone for a ride or up to our pond to hang out. Now they have a diesel, I would have bought that. Better fuel mileage. It's been a great machine. I believe there are about 650 miles on her.Just changed the front and rear axles as per the service interval. Independent suspension is sweet. Oh , as far as the turtle, it looks like it could be a forest turtle.

Well, so much for turtles...this has become a gear thread. So I moved it. Rick

The UTV/RTVs are all pretty good anymore (as long as you buy a brand you've heard of before). Steer clear of the box store specials.

My uncle has a mule and my BIL has a Ranger. They're both good, but I like the ranger a lot better.

Had a family of box turtles in the back yard this spring. Brown with yellow patterns on the shell. Kept moving them back towards the woods, but they always made their way back up into the yard. Drove the dogs nuts, and they're hell to avoid on a big fast Z-trak mower. Haven't seen them since May, so hopefully they're doing okay back in the woods.

I have the two bench seat diesel mule. It is slow topping out a 24mph which is a pain when I run to my cousins farm 10 miles away. But I love it and its the most used piece of equ at the farm. It can easily fit five people and its quiet so I can cruse trails and we can all talk and hear with a normal voice. My cousin has a Rino and that thing is loud easily twice as loud as mine.

Billy

The Deere XUV (850i I believe) used to be the fastest diesel in the biz. Of course things change weekly in that market so who knows now? Anyways, the 850i would do 30 MPH, carry 2 ppl and 1000lbs of firewood anywhere it would fit. True 4WD and fully independent suspension. I remember it would hop curbs at the dealership doing 15+ MPH and you'd barely feel it. Awesome machine.

They have a Suzuki powered gas XUV that does 45+. Hang on Robin....

Late to this thread, but I have a Mule 4010Trans (Gas) and we love it. Like the folding rear seat and long box for hauling wood, seat up and small box for hauling grandkids. No speed demon (27mph), but the only time I notice that is when we occasionally take it off the farm or go trail riding. But it has plenty of payload/towing/pulling capacity, and is more maneuverable that the Rangers I have ridden with.

I am however biased against Polaris ATVs as a rule having seen a lot of folks who have had issues with them over the years (not specifically the Razor, but with other ATVs in the line up.)

I'm just the opposite. I have an '04.5 700 Sportsman 700 EFI that has been bullet proof. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one in a minute. I'd also consider Yamaha's and Hondas as well.

I've seen some expensive UTV's around here. Quad cab Kubota diesel with a hydraulic or electric tilt dump beds and quad tracks for the winter.

The Deere XUV (850i I believe) used to be the fastest diesel in the biz. Of course things change weekly in that market so who knows now? Anyways, the 850i would do 30 MPH, carry 2 ppl and 1000lbs of firewood anywhere it would fit. True 4WD and fully independent suspension. I remember it would hop curbs at the dealership doing 15+ MPH and you'd barely feel it. Awesome machine.

They have a Suzuki powered gas XUV that does 45+. Hang on Robin....

I've seen some expensive UTV's around here. Quad cab Kubota diesel with a hydraulic or electric tilt dump beds and quad tracks for the winter.

Kinda defeats the purpose of being outside doesn't it? :p

UTV's are a broad category with everything from utilitarian workhorses to go-fast play toys on the market. The reason no-one brand has been declared the king of UTV's is because each shines in it's own area. I wouldn't bring the Kubota RTV's to a mud-race and wouldn't pick a Rhino to haul 1000lbs of dirt around.

zap

Yes indeed. And zap does have some steep hills! It was nice taking the tour zap and we'll never forget it.

Status
Not open for further replies.