Drolet 1200 v 1500

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Hag1

Nov 16, 2022
Michigan
Good Morning,

I recently purchased a small hunting camp. The original size was "16 x 24. Insulated walls and ceiling, but not floor. About 10 years ago there was a 16 x 10 bedroom added to the back.

I am looking at a drolet 1200 or 1500 to replace what is currently in the camp. From what I have read not a huge difference in burn time between the two. My concern is cooking us out with too big of a stove and not sure if the 1500 would be too big for this space? There is not a ton of air flow to the back bedroom (a separate issue to address).

The photo is taken from about the middle of the 16 x 24 section of the camp towards the south wall.

Thoughts?

Thanks

camp 1.JPG

So you're looking at roughly 650 sq.ft all together? I'd guess the 1200 would be just fine for that size. Even if you opened up the room to that space and stuck a fan on that stove you should be ok.

So you're looking at roughly 650 sq.ft all together? I'd guess the 1200 would be just fine for that size. Even if you opened up the room to that space and stuck a fan on that stove you should be ok.
Correct, my other thought was if I open the back add-on bunk room and ever added a second bunk room maybe I would want 1500? For the current layout thinking, I could always run 1500 a little lighter and have that capacity in the future if needed?

Reactions: RomanW
Go for the larger stove, particularly if the building is cold on arrival and has no other supplemental heat.

Reactions: Hag1 and RomanW
Correct, my other thought was if I open the back add-on bunk room and ever added a second bunk room maybe I would want 1500? For the current layout thinking, I could always run 1500 a little lighter and have that capacity in the future if needed?
Yeah good call. On top of what begreen said, I don't know how cold it gets there during hunting season (If you're using this primarily during that, or this is just a holiday cabin), knowing you have that extra capacity when it gets really cold could give some piece of mind.

Yeah good call. On top of what begreen said, I don't know how cold it gets there during hunting season (If you're using this primarily during that, or this is just a holiday cabin), knowing you have that extra capacity when it gets really cold could give some piece of mind.
Yes primarily Oct through March. I'm just out of the Lake Superior snow belt so get less snow (not 200+ like a few miles up the road), but still get the cold winter weather. I think the bigger would be better here

Is there any other source of heat in the cabin?

Is there power? If so, a basic table or box fan on the bedroom floor, pointed to the stove room will help move the heat.

Is there power? If so, a basic table or box fan on the bedroom floor, pointed to the stove room will help move the heat.
It's wired for a portable generator, but I do not have a generator at this time. Currently has propane lights in that wood stove as you see in the picture.

It's wired for a portable generator, but I do not have a generator at this time. Currently has propane lights in that wood stove as you see in the picture.
I thought about down the road maybe putting a small solar system just enough to power a couple ceiling fans? Something to move the air around like you said. Couple ceiling fans and maybe one box fan

One box fan placed as mentioned would be enough. Even a 10" table fan running off of a batter-powered inverter would work.

Reactions: RomanW and Hag1
Would one of those small fans that sit on top of the stove do anything?
Good question... I think that would help for the main camp portion, but do not think those are strong enough to push much warm air into the bunk room 20 feet from the stove though?

Would almost be worth a try if you could even borrow one and see what happens... I read a thread a while back where someone was trying to get heat into rooms down a hallway, and I actually think it was @begreen that suggested this but putting a small fan blowing down the bottom of the hallway will actually draw the heat along the ceiling as the cold air is being pushed out since it is denser.

I wonder if one of these fans would do something similar? It just has to start moving the air. Again, it's worth trying, if even just for now?

Reactions: Hag1
Would one of those small fans that sit on top of the stove do anything?
Not really. There are thermoelectric generators that could power a small remote fan using the heat from the stove but they are not cheap.

Reactions: Hag1 and RomanW