Drolet eco 65 setting up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Gwennie

Nov 17, 2020
Westbank bc
Hi newbie here just installed the drolet eco 65. Bought used....never do that again. Anyways everything seems to work but i get code N checked plugs checked wiring all seems good. My question can you change blower speed while stove is on? I have it on manual and temp at lowest but it seems to be pumping enormous amount of heat and cooking us out. Can this be done while stove is on or does it have to be off. Thanks for the input.

That is a pretty big pellet stove, I have the smaller Drolet eco-55/Flame FP45 by SBI and it is a work horse that uses the same control board, lots of heat even on idle, the convection fans do not noticeably turn down at all and would only create an over heat condition if you did turn them down.
"N" code is reversed polarity, are you using a UPS(uninterrupted power supply/battery backup) these will typically be flagged as reverse polarity when on batteries, are you using a surge protector as it could also have a issue, but the stove will run as usual even with the "N" code. Maybe check the receptacle for proper wiring, you can get testers cheap, also if the plug on the stove was changed and someone reversed the wires is a possibility. Most likely the house wiring is reversed or if its an old place it may not even have a dedicated ground.

That is a pretty big pellet stove, I have the smaller Drolet eco-55/Flame FP45 by SBI and it is a work horse that uses the same control board, lots of heat even on idle, the convection fans do not noticeably turn down at all and would only create an over heat condition if you did turn them down.
"N" code is reversed polarity, are you using a UPS(uninterrupted power supply/battery backup) these will typically be flagged as reverse polarity when on batteries, are you using a surge protector as it could also have a issue, but the stove will run as usual even with the "N" code. Maybe check the receptacle for proper wiring, you can get testers cheap, also if the plug on the stove was changed and someone reversed the wires is a possibility. Most likely the house wiring is reversed or if its an old place it may not even have a dedicated ground.
Thanks for the info. I live in a mobile triple wide and extra long so the heat needs to be dispersed over 60’. This is only my second pellet stove and it is intimidating me as it has a lot more controls that my old one. Old one has manual light and two speeds hi or low. And manual pellet feed adjuster. I have read the manual just feel intimidated. Also as for code N I think I might get an electrician to check the wiring. I changed cords also changed outlet it was plugged into to one on another circuit same thing.. Still shows code but like you said still operates properly. Not using any backup or surge protector.... should I??
I’m trying to learn as much as I can to be safe for myself and kids.

Well hopefully you have a friend thats an electrician as it might take a bit of digging, inside the wall plug/receptacle it should be black wire on brass screw, white wire on silver screw, at the electrical panel it should have the black wire going to the breaker and white bonded to ground, you can also pick up a polarity tester cheap. Try switching the wires on the stove plug if everything checks out.
I found not being able to trim the auger and fans makes for a safer stove-less room for human error. You might find a thermostat with a adjustable swing temp and timer useful if your ignitor is working good, they can be tricky to set up. You should have a good surge protector or UPS, APC and Eaton make a nice UPS unit but it flagged both as reversed polarity when the power was out and running on batteries at my place.

Amazon product ASIN B000BT0M9Y
Amazon product ASIN B01AKX3AYE
Amazon product ASIN B0046BGUWG

Reactions: Gwennie
Well hopefully you have a friend thats an electrician as it might take a bit of digging, inside the wall plug/receptacle it should be black wire on brass screw, white wire on silver screw, at the electrical panel it should have the black wire going to the breaker and white bonded to ground, you can also pick up a polarity tester cheap. Try switching the wires on the stove plug if everything checks out.
I found not being able to trim the auger and fans makes for a safer stove-less room for human error. You might find a thermostat with a adjustable swing temp and timer useful if your ignitor is working good, they can be tricky to set up. You should have a good surge protector or UPS, APC and Eaton make a nice UPS unit but it flagged both as reversed polarity when the power was out and running on batteries at my place.

Amazon product ASIN B000BT0M9Y
Amazon product ASIN B01AKX3AYE
Amazon product ASIN B0046BGUWG
Thanks so much I will look into these. And check the wiring again. Great info much appreciated.