Drolet Escape 1800i install almost complete…but I just thought of something.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

FDRchats

Oct 22, 2021
East Tennessee
I am almost done, and would be if the self tapping screws for attaching the liner to the insert would actually self tap. While taking a breather, I thought of something. The face of my fireplace is painted. Will that paint burn? I’m especially concerned about the area behind the surround. Following advice on here, I built what is essentially an air tight block off plate so there will be a lot of heat back there. I don’t recall ever seeing a post about this. Did I screw up? Picture is attached.

image.jpg

It'll stink for sure. So have a fan an open window at hand, the first (few) time(s) you burn it.

Be careful with self tapping screws; if they don't grab onto the second metal part, they may bend it instead, creating gaps.
I'd predrill.

Reactions: FDRchats
I am almost done, and would be if the self tapping screws for attaching the liner to the insert would actually self tap. While taking a breather, I thought of something. The face of my fireplace is painted. Will that paint burn? I’m especially concerned about the area behind the surround. Following advice on here, I built what is essentially an air tight block off plate so there will be a lot of heat back there. I don’t recall ever seeing a post about this. Did I screw up? Picture is attached.

View attachment 284994
It is painted with high temp paint so no. And the liner shouldn't be held with self tappers. Rivets for heavy wall or mid weight. And a band clamp for light wall.

It is painted with high temp paint so no. And the liner shouldn't be held with self tappers. Rivets for heavy wall or mid weight. And a band clamp for light wall.
How does a band clamp attach to the stove itself? I have connector that came with the liner to connect to the appliance. As far a paint, I was talking about the paint on the brick.

I had to drill the appliance adapter and used the screws. To screw the right angle pieces to the adapter. That stainless is hard metal. Didn’t get the third hole drilled.

My second break in fire was today. Got the top to 500+. The jacket was less than 200. So with the blower and the space back there is shielded from direct high Temp radiation so probably not as bad/hot as it could be. It’s probably worth keeping an eye/ thermocouple or IR thermometer on.

Edit….. I think I had to supply my own screws.

image.jpg

How does a band clamp attach to the stove itself? I have connector that came with the liner to connect to the appliance. As far a paint, I was talking about the paint on the brick.
Ahhh those screws. Yeah pre drill them

You're talking about the white (presumably latex) paint on the brick? I think the likelihood of that burning/melting is very low. The brick will get warm to the touch when using the insert, but not so hot that it would burn your skin. I was just at a friend's house this weekend who has an almost identical setup, and didn't notice any scorch marks on the paint. Their insert was professionally installed, so I assume the installers would have noted if there would be a problem.

The face of my fireplace is painted.
A little late now but for future consider white wash on brick made with hydrated lime and salt it will not be affected by heat like paint it can be washed off as well.

Naw, I don't think the white paint will be an issue. I installed the Drolet Escape 1500i last year in a similarly painted brick fireplace. No issues. However, the insert's paint itself did stink for quite a while. Practically the whole heating season. This year however, no problems.