First Stove for Supplemental/Back Up Heat Source

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Check 2 cu ft stoves. The PE Super, Lopi Endeavor, Quad 3100 will get the job done. There is one caveat, what altitude is this at? Ranch homes can often have short chimney systems. The Lopi and Quad are going to want a 15-16' tall flue system if straight up... before compensating for the thinner air. If the flue system will end up being 15 ft or less, then the PE Super, or a Regency 2450, or Osborn 2000 will work better if this is the case. They are a bit less draft-sensitive. Note that any elbows will add draft resistance and therefore more chimney height.
I had a chance to visit a dealer carrying PE stoves. No Supers on display, but they had stoves in the Alderlea line. I loved the T5. What's your feeling on that stove's tolerance for a shorter flue system? I'm getting up there next week with a guy to improve some kitchen ventilation, but I'm estimating my system is about 14 ft. I'm a little concerned, because I know there's a 30 degree elbow. I'll confirm when I'm up there. The dealer says no problem, but I get the feeling some of these guys will say anything to sell a stove. I'd appreciate your take.

14 feet would be ok at sea level, but can become marginal with altitude. What is your elevation? The super is the same as the Alderlea without the fancy surround.

I think you’ll be ok. You might have some trouble drafting at 50F, but as it gets colder you should have less issues. Somebody will be around shortly to tell me if I’m wrong! Looking back, I don’t see the chimney diameter mentioned, or type. Is it a Class A chimney? If so, and you know who made it, you can just add a section on if draft is an issue.

I had a chance to visit a dealer carrying PE stoves. No Supers on display, but they had stoves in the Alderlea line. I loved the T5. What's your feeling on that stove's tolerance for a shorter flue system? I'm getting up there next week with a guy to improve some kitchen ventilation, but I'm estimating my system is about 14 ft. I'm a little concerned, because I know there's a 30 degree elbow. I'll confirm when I'm up there. The dealer says no problem, but I get the feeling some of these guys will say anything to sell a stove. I'd appreciate your take.
The T5 has the same firebox and flue requirements as the Super. It's an easy breathing stove.

I have no idea about the unit above, except that I have a similar unit (legend III) without the ducting shroud. It's not a showpiece, but might be effective, idk.

Check myfireplaceproducts.com

The Austral is a stripped down Legend with the same firebox but no side shielding. It's much more radiant and has higher clearance requirements as a result. The Legend III or Myriad II are oversized for this application, but could work with making smaller fires. Drolets in general are easy breathing stoves.