Drolet installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ajamison

Jan 29, 2014
Virginia
Just got a new Drolet Columbia II and am having a little trouble with the installation. Based on the picture you can see that I obviously have to cut the existing 8" flue pipe. Even if I cut it to the exact right height, I'm not sure how to slide the Drolet underneath and get the flue pipe to sit inside my reducer.

Will it work just the tip the stove back? Not sure how I could reverse that process to clean the flue in the future. Any suggestions appreciated.

stove.jpg

Is there no slight upward movement in the liner possible? If not, there are shallower increasers.

A shallow increased would allow me to cut less pipe but I still don't see how I would get the stove up under the pipe and especially remove it for cleaning. There is no upward movement in the pipe - I was hoping there would be.

A shallow increased would allow me to cut less pipe but I still don't see how I would get the stove up under the pipe and especially remove it for cleaning. There is no upward movement in the pipe - I was hoping there would be.
Lift the liner up and drop it onto the stove

Go to. The roof lift the liner up, move stove back, drop liner and reseal top plate, then trim the top of the liner to the top plate.

You won't have to remove it for cleaning. You should be able to clean right from the stove with one of the new style cleaning kits. I never take my stove pipe apart and do not go on the roof anymore. I just run my soot eater right up through the stove after removing the baffles and the first burn tube. Works great and a lot less work. Only takes about an hour to do all the prep and clean up

Like others said you won't need to pull it to clean. The only reason you may have to is to work on the blower because it's in the back of freestanding stoves. BTW you may not be impressed with the performance of this stove because it's shoved back in the firebox and isn't designed to direct the heat out the way an insert is.

Good to know that the flue can be cleaned without disconnecting the stove. Unfortunately I can't get on the roof to lift the liner up - it is way too high. Sounds like my best bet is to get the shallower increaser and try to tip the stove back under the pipe.

Reactions: Bobbob
So I got one of the shorter increasers -
https://www.northlineexpress.com/heatfab-6-male-to-8-female-increaser-2628b-5195.html
but the female 8" end won't slide over the existing stove pipe. Inside diameter of the female end of the increaser is 8" but I need something with 8.25" inside diameter for it to fit. That was the diameter of the old T-fitting I pulled off of the stove pipe.

I can't find an increaser with an 8.25 inside diameter on the female end. Does anyone know of any?

So I got one of the shorter increasers -
https://www.northlineexpress.com/heatfab-6-male-to-8-female-increaser-2628b-5195.html
but the female 8" end won't slide over the existing stove pipe. Inside diameter of the female end of the increaser is 8" but I need something with 8.25" inside diameter for it to fit. That was the diameter of the old T-fitting I pulled off of the stove pipe.

I can't find an increaser with an 8.25 inside diameter on the female end. Does anyone know of any?
You need a piece made specifically for light wall liner. Stove pipe won't fit